cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Broadband up ???

N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

hi people
just been reading the setup guides for adls for when me broadband easy starter pack arrives next wk sometime
i have my phone box at the bottom of the stairs, with a huge extension lead running up the stairs into my room
can anybody explain to me how i connect the splitters etc as i have not got a clue!!!, i think i ut the splitter in the main box then the phone into that and the extension line into the other free port, then plug the line upstairs which is currently in my 56k modem into the broadband? right or wrong?
Also whats all these problems with xp because i am running xp and dont want a crappy connection i have that now with my 56k dialup!!!
cheers
chris h
13 REPLIES
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

There is a very good guide HERE to help you with splitter and wiring configuration when using ADSL.

As for the issues seen in XP at this moment, please see THIS thread here, for a snapshot on what hardware is affected by this issue.

You will see information on the hardware and why this may not affect you.

There are other threads around the forum relating to the actual problem, and what symptoms poeple have seen as a result.
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

i have already looked at that and remain none the wiser as to them diagrams althou clearly layed out really don't help me!!!
was my last description correct??
surely somebody could answer me
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

OK, looking at your description isn't 100% clear how you wish to attempt the setup, however, there is enough to give a step by step guide on how iut should be done.

1: At the main socket (downstairs), you will need a socket doubler.

Allthough splitters have two sockets, the socket for the ADSL line will be of the incorrect type for the extention to pug into.

2: Into one socket of the doubler, plug the splitter in.

3: Into the larger socket on the splitter, plug your phone in

4: Plug the extention into the other socket of the doubler

5: Plug your ADSL modem into the other end of the extention with no splitter. If the socket for the modem is the wrong type, then you can use a splitter.

If you have any other phones or devices (like sky), these will also need splitters.
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

thnaks
i actually think i get this now!
does your supplier for the modem have a website so i can check the xp issue?
regards
chris headlam
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

right actually reading again that sound sincorrect
just let me type through this..

i have my main socket where the phone line would go right

i would then..
leave the socket doubler i alreayd have in my box
plug a splitter into one port and leave the extension line in the other
than plug the end in my room into the modem
wouldnt the extension line need to go into the splitrter downstairs??
regards
CHRIS HEADLAM
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

No.

ADSL traffic and voice can co-exist on the line at the same time, due to the way there two technologies are seperated.

However, part of the ADSL line can bleed into the voice spectrum, and part of the voice into the ADSL.

The splitter/filter is designed to keep them seperate, so they do not interfere with each other.

This is done on the voice portion of the line, by filtering all ADSL traffic from it.

You would only need to place a splitter/filter on the extention, if you are going to attach another voice line upstairs at the end of the extention. Otherwise you would be filtering the ADSL traffic out of the line, and the ADSL modem wouldn't function.
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

any website for the modem manufacturer?
thanks for your help
chris headlam
N/A

Re: Setting Broadband up ???

i have my phone box at the bottom of the stairs, with a huge extension lead running up the stairs into my room

As "acarr" says in his reply, your exact setup is not clear: are all the phones on your network connected through the "huge extension lead" or are there other phones which don't use the extension lead?

If everything currently connects through the huge extension lead, then you could put a microfilter on the end of this and plug your existing devices into the "phone" side of the microfilter, and the ADSL modem into the adsl side.

If you have other phones connected -- did I see something about a "doubler" at the master socket? -- then I would put the "huge extension lead" into one side of the doubler, with a microfilter at the end of the lead as before. On the other side of the doubler, I would connect a second microfilter and plug any phones into the phone side of this.

But, if there will be no phones (or other traditional phone devices, such as analogue modems) at the end of the "huge extension lead", then you could use a single microfilter at the master socket to provide you with the equivalent of a "doubler", but you'd need a replacement "huge extension lead" because the existing one won't have the right connectors to enable you to do this. Plug the microfilter directly into the socket. All the phones can then be connected on the phone side of the microfilter. This leaves the adsl side empty, and into this you'd connect your replacement "huge extension lead" which would connect straight in to the ADSL modem at the other end -- no traditional phone equipment should use this lead, just the ADSL modem.
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

uhmm no need for the sarcasm on the extension lead

sim,ple
at the bottom fo stairs
i have a double socket which currently has..............

the extension plug in which runs upstairs to the pc
and the normal tellephone like a normal household has

does that help u anymore
and the extension lead this end has a standard socket for a plug for the modem i currently use
so i assume im to put a splitter this end to to enable me to connect the modem?

and downstairs i have the doubler with the splitter in one side witht he phone socket in the splitter and the extension lead in the doubler
then the modem plugs in from this end with a filter in one end if required if extension is wrong side?
corrrect or not?

only asking for help dont need sarcasm

Moderators note (John) Double posting removed
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

uhmm no need for the sarcasm on the extension lead

It wasn't intended to be sarcastic! It was supposed to make clear what I meant, by using the same term you had! So, I'll just call it the "extension lead" from now on, and won't embarrass you any further about the hugeness of its extension Wink

sim,ple
at the bottom fo stairs
i have a double socket which currently has..............

the extension plug in which runs upstairs to the pc
and the normal tellephone like a normal household has

does that help u anymore

Yes!
    Hugely!
Oh! Sorry! Wink

and the extension lead this end has a standard socket for a plug for the modem i currently use so i assume im to put a splitter this end to to enable me to connect the modem?

Yes.

and downstairs i have the doubler with the splitter in one side with the phone socket in the splitter and the extension lead in the doubler then the modem plugs in from this end with a filter in one end if required if extension is wrong side?
corrrect or not?

You've lost me there!

Downstairs, you'll have your socket doubler. The extension lead plugs directly into one side of this. In the other socket of the doubler, insert a microfilter. The phone devices downstairs will then all connect to the "phone" side of this microfilter, with the "adsl" side left empty.

Upstairs, at the other end of the extension lead, you will have another microfilter (as already agreed), into which you will connect your ADSL modem (on the adsl side of the microfilter). Any traditional phone devices (which includes your old analogue dial-up modem) can be connected on the "phone" side of this microfilter.

Hope that helps, and no offence meant!
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

thanks!!
that was actually what i meant lol but as usual was worded wrong

any websites for the starter pack usb modem manufacturers?
Community Veteran

Setting Broadband up ???

What you seem to be describing as your set up is EXACTLY as shown on the drawing

Which is visible on the Tutorials and FAQ forum and you say you have looked at ?
N/A

Setting Broadband up ???

any websites for the starter pack usb modem manufacturers?

Aren't they Binatone modems? ("Binatone 500" has been bandied about quite a lot in various threads). I'd look for their site.

And, if you haven't seen it already, if you're running Windows XP, you would be well-advised to make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed.

When your equipment arrives, it's worth while setting it up straight away. At least, connect the microfilters so your phones are prepared for when the line is activated. See Before your ADSL is activated