cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service problems since IP Max Upgrade

N/A

Almost identical problems to those reported by cobbler on this forum.

My line was upgraded in the early hours of Thursday morning (it's now Tuesday evening) and I too suffer from persistent connection problems. The line is dropping every few minutes or more regularly so by the time it's settled down the service is down much more than it's up.

I logged a call on Friday and after the initial wait 10 days response I made the extent of the problems clear over the weekend in the ticket (19224612 if anyone from support is reading this) but absolutely no change to the service since then.

If (IF) I'd known this was how bad the service was going to be I won't have had the upgrade but the communication to date only talks about some speed issues for a few days, there's no mention that the whole servivce will be unusable.

Fair warning Plusnet - there's only so long I'm willing to put up with this service and it's less than 10 days.

Simon
10 REPLIES
N/A

I am haveing the same problems Evil Evil just done a speed test and it was 325kp and 260up what a joke. i was getting a lot faster speed and more stable speeds with the 2mb line. I to will not wait long for this to be fixed VERY VERY UNHAPPY Cry
Gryzor
Grafter

what are the conditions of your line.....signal to noise ratio (SNR) and attenuation?
N/A

The Noisemargin reported varies between 0 to -11.5 and the attenuation is about 39.
I've seen another post which suggests older adsl modems can't cope with the frequent speed changes that occur during the first 10 days and as my modem is 4 years old thought that might be the problem?

Simon
N/A

wtf are you guys on about? Noise margin? i guess i have posted in the rong place because i thought you was talking about slow broadband speeds after upgrade.....................
Gryzor
Grafter

Looks like there are several groups of people in this IPMax mess:

1) Those who have have had the testing for 10 days and have come out the end with a connection slower than before, thats you Ron.

2) Those who can't even use their connection during the testing, thats me and Ferrari.

3) Those who are happy.

Personnally I think the ones with the biggest problem are those who have NO Internet since this started!

As for the noise and signal to noise ratio, this is the clever bit that you don't see unless you did into your router and these figures determine what speed you are likely to get and when your connection drops.

My SNR is around 3DB at the moment which is low and I tend to have disconnects around this figure. It CAN stay up at around 5DB. The attenuation is around 43DB which I am told is pretty good. Your figures Ferrari, are better than mine so think yourself lucky Smiley
N/A

Yep it dont seem to work!!!
N/A

Well it's early days yet but I replaced my 4 year old modem and router with a shiny new modem/router and it's flying - no disconnection problems yet. It could be the old modem coluldn't cope with the 10 day tests... or it could be coincidental that these tests have stopped!

I'll update in a few days.

Simon
N/A

low signal

bt have the same problem my 10 days are up and have to use dsl-g604t just to get a signal, bt voyager 2500v can't get it, so don't bother upgrading ,been told by someone at bt could take 20 days plus to sort out :x :x :x
N/A

Has anyone else noticed that the transmit power may have been reduced a lot recently. Previously I'm convinced it was 23dBm (200mW) and now it's typically 10 to 12 dBm (just over 10mW).

Now it's possible that older firmware was misreporting the power but it seems as if the power has been lowered, possibly to reduce crosstalk. If the noise amplitude stays the same then this could be reducing SNR by 10dB
N/A

Re: low signal

bt have the same problem my 10 days are up and have to use dsl-g604t just to get a signal

I have the same modem, its well known to hold sync in extreme conditions. Good router for sure.

Alot of people with these MaxDSL problems mainly seem to be using USB modems that the ISP/BT gave them. It might be worth plumping for an ADSL Router as they seem to stabalize alot of problems.

Or even purchase a Speedtouch modem on eBay, some can be had for around £20 but vs a BT Voyager they are a much sounder product.