cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server assigned IP address problem

N/A

Server assigned IP address problem

I recently signed up for the ADSL self install package with the router. I have 4 machines on my network, and if i set them all to server assigned IP i have troubles with LAN but they can all see the internet. I can ping the router without any trouble, and if i assign each computer with an IP the same as the router, but change the last digit, also put the routers IP in as the default gateway, then the LAN works great, but none of the machines can see the internet. I am confused :confused:

Has anyone else come across this one, as i can't see why it doesn't work?
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Server assigned IP address problem

Hi,
Set the router as the default gateway on all machines (I assume all machines are connected to the router directly, and the router is connected to the internet?), and set individual IPs manually for each machine, depending on what IP the router has.

So, if the IP of the router was - 192.168.254.254
You should select an IP of 192.168.254.xxx, xxx being any number 1-255, except any number that is taken, eg, 254, since it is taken by the router.

This would allow you to have an internal network, and the router would be the one receiving a hostname and a suitable IP from Plusnet, so all machines can connect to the internet.

Note however, all machines will appear to have the same address, to people outside your local network,
N/A

Hi,
Set the router as the default gateway on all machines (I assume all machines are connected to the router directly, and the router is connected to the internet?), and set individual IPs manually for each machine, depending on what IP the router has.

So, if the IP of the router was - 192.168.254.254
You should select an IP of 192.168.254.xxx, xxx being any number 1-255, except any number that is taken, eg, 254, since it is taken by the router.

This would allow you to have an internal network, and the router would be the one receiving a hostname and a suitable IP from Plusnet, so all machines can connect to the internet.

Note however, all machines will appear to have the same address, to people outside your local network.
N/A

Oops.. double post..
and I think I didn't read your statement properly the first time around =)

Sounds weird..
What operating system are you running on the machines?
And is the subnet mask set correctly on all machines?
N/A

I have XP on two machines and ME on two. The router i have is the one supplied by plus.net, which connects into my network hub, so the machines aren't plugged directly into the router itself! Subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0

N/A

Strange..
So, the hub sould be connected to the router via the uplink port?
And the machines are connected to the 'normal' ports on the hub?

If you are setting the IP adresses and masks correctly, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'm inclined to think it is an operating system issue since the network configuration side looks fine.
N/A

I have a similar problem. My three computers, NT, Win2000 and XP used to connect to the internet (using conventional modem) through Winroute on the NT machine. Since setting up the Plusnet supplied router/ADSL modem last night none of the computers could see each other but they could all access the internet. I tried both DHCP and assigned IPs but it made no difference. The computers would ping each other OK but opening network neighbourhood produced an error message that said access was unavailable (I forget the exact wording).

I have temporarily got round the problem by installing additional network protocols besides TCP/IP. When I’ve got a bit more time I’ll have another look through the settings, I am bound to have missed something, and try to make sense of the manual and help files supplied with the router. With a little luck maybe someone has already got this problem sorted out and can point us in the right direction.

Steve