cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious speed problems

madfruit
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

I like a lot of other people seem to be suddenly experiencing some extreme speed problems. I'm on Premier Option 1 8mb, and I can only get download speeds of about 635kbps. From http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ I get :

Last Result:
Download Speed: 635 kbps (79.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 382 kbps (47.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

I first noticed this yesterday (when it was actually slower - almost half that speed). Since then I have turned the router off overnight (knowing that sometimes this fixes the problem) but today I still get the same problems. It seems from the other posts on the forum a lot of people are having the same problems. Has anything changed recently that is giving me/everyone else this problem?

Sorry for making another thread on it, but I don't want to hijack anyone elses thread - and I really think PN need to realise there is a problem somewhere.

Can someone from PN comment on my particular case - can you see something wrong your end?
19 REPLIES
madfruit
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

OK so I just ran another test as I noticed my browsing has improved slightly this evening. I now get:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2260 kbps (282.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 610 kbps (76.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

But this is still well short of what I used to get Sad
Community Veteran

Serious speed problems

Hi there,

Can you tell me what package you are on please, as your upload speed indicates to me you are either on a officemax product or you are on the alternative network provider (LLU)

Can you post some stats from your router and give us what your maximum stable rate is according to plusnets Checker

Once we get some router stats, we might be able to help you a bit more.

Kind regards,

Roger.
N/A

Serious speed problems

To see if you are on LLU, go here.

If you are on an LLU connection, it will say so, if not - you must be provisioned on an business product.
madfruit
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

Hi, thanks for the replies, according to that link I am

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse North, Juniper 5" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as thn-ag1.

If you are on this gateway, you are on the Tiscali LLU Platform

But I am not quite sure what that means... is that bad?

My router stats are...

ADSL Status CONNECTED
Data Rate
Downstream/Upstream 8160Kb/768Kb
Connection Type PPPoA

Primary DNS Address ptn-cdns02.plus.net
Secondary DNS Address ptn-cdns01.plus.net

Link Status 100Mbps Full Duplex

Is that the kind of stuff you need?

I've just run the speed check again, and I am back down to:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 1464 kbps (183 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 565 kbps (70.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

The maximum stable rate according to plusnet is:

Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

Like I said, my PlusNet package is Premium Option 1.

Thanks again for any help.
Community Veteran

Serious speed problems

Hiya,

As I suspected you are indeed with Plusnets alternative network supplier (Tiscali Wholesale - Not Tiscali Retail) which is LLU or Local Loop Unbundling. This means that the voice and ADSL aspects of your phone line are managed by two separate entities, being BT Retail for your voice line and Tiscali/Plusnet for your ADSL Provisioning.

Your speeds are most definitely not what they should be and I would suggest raising a ticket.
Once you have done that, post your ticket ID in this thread, and we can give a nudge if necessary Wink

Kind regards,

Roger
madfruit
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

Hi, I am attempting to raise a ticket (or how I think I need to do this) via the Broadband Fault Checker, but it seems that when I answer question 3 (What type of problem do you have?) with "Speed" it always asks me about my connection, and irrelevant questions like "What type of connection fault do you have?" and "Do you lose your connection only at certain times, such as when you use certain applications, or at particular times of day?"

I randomly answered the remaining questions to get the thing to raise a ticket. I hope this is all good. The "Question ID" is 21059574 if that the ticket number you are after?

Thanks again for your help Smiley
N/A

Broadband speed

OK so I just ran another test as I noticed my browsing has improved slightly this evening. I now get:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2260 kbps (282.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 610 kbps (76.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

But this is still well short of what I used to get Sad

I'm lucky to get 2 k/B
Community Veteran

Serious speed problems

@gsimson

Whilst I appreciate you may be having issues, may I urge you to raise it as a fault if you haven't done so already, and would kindly ask, that unless you have something constructive to add, please refrain from posting in this thread as it only serves to confuse matters.

Thanks,

Roger.
Community Veteran

Serious speed problems

@madfruit

I'll see if I can ask someone from comms to have a look at this thread just to monitor the progress of your ticket.

I can't make any guarantees that anything can be done immediately, please bear with them.

They might ask you to do some further tests unless they can pinpoint your problem straight away.

Kind regards,

Roger.
madfruit
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

Thanks very much Roger, you've been extremely helpful Smiley

*Sits and waits, fingers crossed* Smiley
N/A

Speed

Hello, its my first time on here so was not sure whether to start a new thread or continue this one so have decided to put it here.

It concerns speed, internet browsing is absolutely fine, it goes very fast. Peer to Peer is very slow on the other hand, I have read other peoples posts and have seen that you prioritise other activities first which is ok. The reason I ask though is using bitlord my downloads go no faster than 5kb/s most of the time. I had a 10minute spell where they got up to 80kb/s but then they dropped down to around 20kb/s, but most of the time such as now they are barely starting and flicker between 1kb/s and 5kb/s.

I have just tried to download from a website to check the speed and it downloaded at 165kb/s so all the speed is fine.

I just wondered if peer to peer was always this slow or if theres anything I can do to speed it up because at the moment it will not download very fast at all.

Speedtest.net says my download = 1799kbs and upload is 324kb/s

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Neil
N/A

Serious speed problems

Just thought id add that the things im downloading have lots of seeders.
I have looked through other topics and found a couple of people that get 100kb/s or so off peak, then only 2kb/s peak time, but im not even getting the good speed off peak.
N/A

Serious speed problems

what package you on with PN as they throttle P2P connections with certain packages.
i know im on the £14 package(just downgraded) i im strugglin with my D/L speeds.
you need to open your ports up to which the P2P work thru.
change your cleint to utorrent which is fab tastic.
otherwise its struggle on im afraid,unless some one knows on here how to tweek the ports to improve the speeds.

ive been trying to find the solution for weeks and cant find one at mo.
Prunesquallor
Dabbler

Serious speed problems

I see that no one has answered madfruit's questions about the silly questions asked by the fault reporter.

You answer 'Speed' to the question that asks what is the nature of the problem, and then later you are asked about the kind of disconnections you are getting.

The only way out is to give random answers to these later questions.

In view of this, is there any point in using this fault reporter?