cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious problems - need some help!

N/A

For the past few weeks we have been experiencing some infuriating problems with our service. We have the homeworker 2mb line, which is currently shared between 3 PCs. The problem we are having is that the connection seems to be constantly flickering. So it goes down quickly, and then comes back up. When surfing the net this is very annoying as we have to keep refreshing pages that are not loading etc. It is even more annoying when playing online games, as we get constantly booted from the server.

We experienced problems with our service last summer, and after weeks of trying to resolve the problem, and being told by your customer service that the problem was not the router, we finally managed to get a new router. This time the problem is slightly different, as this time all 5 lights on our solwise router are not coming on, they are just flashing constantly.

I rang your customer service the other night, and i have to say they were quite unhelpful, and insisted that it was an internal network problem. However we play alot of LAN games, and transfer alot of files and never have any problems.

I am hoping that someone here can help us solve this problem, as we are becoming increasingly infuriated, and disillusioned with your service.

If you need any more information then please ask, i will try to keep a close eye on this post.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

1. From the routers web administration what are the attenuation figures for the download?
2. Is it the Link led that flickers or just the Lan leds?
3. Is anyone downloading using p2p or updating a game server list when this happens?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

1) I have no idea how to check this.

2) The light that flickers TX/RX

3) Yes we all download from programmes like Soulseek and Kazaa constantly, and it has not been a problem before in the 12 months we've been with Plus Net.
N/A

3) Yes we all download from programmes like Soulseek and Kazaa constantly, and it has not been a problem before in the 12 months we've been with Plus Net.

Ha, say no more. You are most probably full of spyware and possibly viruses. The routers address stack will be overloaded if you have a lot of downloads/sources running, causing hang ups, line drops etc.
P2P is it's own worst enemy.
N/A

We all run AVG and ad-aware everyday, so i doubt we have any viruses or spy-ware. Thanks for your help though.
N/A

AVG and Ad-aware are not the only sources of protections you should be using.

Adaware is very conservative in what it detects, and is the best if wanting portect your computer from breaking.

AVG (version depending) is actualy very poor for a single scanning aid. I suggest running things like Panda Active-Scan online once a month or more.
Community Veteran

I would also recommend you run spybot search & destroy as well as Adaware. Both are complementary in that they often find things the other does not.

Details of it and lots of other security related apps, including some online virus scanners can be found in the following tutorial: General: Essential Security software.

Also Kazza and other p2p apps can sometimes open more connections that your router can safely handle without locking up. I would try to limit the number of connections your p2p apps are opening and see if that solves the router lockups. Others have reported similar problems to you and it turned out to be the p2p connections. Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the solwise router. Often later versions can handle p2p connections better.
N/A

bleh none of you are really helping them.. you are all blaming inconsiquential things like spyware.. if a router cant handle that many damn packets from within the lan then it should not be on teh market.. its damn hard to DOS ur router offline lol.

Check the wires between ur router and ur phone socket, try the line without the phone plugged in, i know its prob what the monkies at help and support said but make sure the wires arnt broken or freid or loose or somfin.. if none of these solve it.. flash ur firmware on the solwise incase its a bug.. then again screw the solwise routers they SUCK get ur self a nice linksys / cisco (if u can afford) from ebuyer / ebay and then you shouldnt have these problems Smiley

and.. Spyware / P2P will not cause a loss of connection .. and i very much dout a virus would either so dont worry about those for the time being on this issue

Buzzons
N/A

The fact is, Spyware and P2P do cause these problems, and they have been more than just reported, but proven.

A DOS accack on a router, and poor memory and CPU managment are two totaly different things.

The reason this happens is when the memory table containing the current NAT sessions fills up, allowing no more connections in or out. Some routers do not even make it to the poitn where the table is full before they fallover.

Unless there is a port forwarding rule that a attacker can exploit, incoming connections can't cuase the same issue.

Netgear and Solwise routers are actualy known even more to be suseptable to this.
Community Veteran

N/A

First thing to do is to stop P2P progs on all machines, reboot the router and see if the issue goes away. If it does, all the P2P you have running is most probably the problem.
(Incidentally, the TX light flashing all the time indicates traffic is taking place. This could indicate P2P progs are most probably filling the NAT address table on the router, causing slow acks, rather than the connection faultering).
Once you have determined if the P2P progs are at fault or not, then you can start looking at other things such as, filters, cabling, router firmware, line quality, stealthing the router etc.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: Serious problems - need some help!

The problem we are having is that the connection seems to be constantly flickering. So it goes down quickly, and then comes back up. When surfing the net this is very annoying as we have to keep refreshing pages that are not loading etc. It is even more annoying when playing online games, as we get constantly booted from the server.

Hi,

I've had a look at your connection logs and there's no indication of major drops in the connection. This does sound more like a data transfer issue. If your TX/RX lights are constantly flashing even if you aren't using the connection then something is using the bandwidth.

As has been suggested shut down all P2P software and anything else that might be using the connection, if you've got more than 1 PC I'd also shutdown all the others are test each at time.

With each PC on its own connected to the router see if you get the same problems.

It is quite likely that the P2P software is causing the problem, by its nature it will open up multiple connections to different people which not only will use your download bandwidth but also the upload bandwidth to acknowledge the packets. This can leave little bandwidth left for browsing or games.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhahahahah at solwise being so lame .. sorry but surly the ISP has a juty to provide GOOD hardware.. like ooo linksys or cisco ^_^ cos.. well cisco just made a world record with somfin like 98TB / s data transfer in one of its routers.. so bleh :p

dude if u wanna sort this kinda prob ditch the shit and get a router thats worth the money you (foolishly (like me)) paid.

Buz
N/A

yea and how much would a cisco router for adsl cost.....

my solwise works ok for p2p but then again i dont use NAT
N/A

The cheapest Cisco router and DSL card is around the £890 mark (ex VAT).

Linksys are not one of the market leaders either.

Though, I see no comment about Netgear, does this mean you have one and don't care to comment.

I agree with the people people should be choosing quality modems, but are you honestly expecting quality, when they flout them on the market sub £80

Sidenote
The Cisco record was for transfer between the bus of each node in a hardware array, and did not relate to transfer of data from one site to another.

The Cisco unit you refer to is HERE and is carrier class (not bedroom class) and start around £449,800 too much for a home user.

The fastest rates between sites where recorded in April, and can be seen HERE