Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious help needed

N/A

Serious help needed

Hi
first off I know nothing about bandwidth etc
I am currently paying £40.99 for the 2mb service.. it was uncapped when I started.. but it now seems that I am capped, most of my friends are paying far less than me, and today I find that my webspace has benn removedHuh

can some one please explain how I pay all this money for an uncapped service -- and my webspace gets taken away
I do not download movies etc... so was astonished to find that this has happened,
I got a warning about over usage... I have only used 30mb out of a possible 250mb
I just dont get it at all, build a website, and get a few people viewing it... 5 minutes later I get warned... 10 days later webspace removed

all I want is a small website to show off my photographs.. and think that paying £41 a month is more than enough

can someone please advise me as what the hell is going on

should I have a website with a banner saying please dont view my webspace/site
12 REPLIES
N/A

Serious help needed

Hi there,

Firstly check out the current product offerings. You are paying way too much for you 2 mb account but thats another story covered in various other threads.

Re your website, the 250 mb allowance has been used up I would imagine by the amount of bandwith the site has used not the amount of space it is taking up on the server.

if it has proved to be a popular site which has attracted a lot of traffic, especially with lots of graphics you may have fallen foul of the limits, generous as they are.
N/A

Serious help needed

This still does not explain how I signed for an uncapped site and the webspace has been removed... this is the part that has me baffledHuh

I was under the impression that websites were to show off things about ones self - and hopefully attract lots of visitors
yet what seems to be happening is that if I get too many visitors my space is removed.. can some one please explain 'in laymans' terms

and I am open to suggestions as to what kind of package would be best for me
to have a small website and be able to post my pictures on a few photography forums... surely £41 a month should be more than enough for my needs
Community Veteran

Serious help needed

As Mark says you are paying over the odds for a 2Mb connection, you can regrade down to Premier 2Mb which is £21.99 per month.
When Plus.Net last repriced their products they decided to leave customers on their current package, not to drop their prices down to current levels.

Chilly
N/A

Serious help needed

This still does not explain how I signed for an uncapped site and the webspace has been removed... this is the part that has me baffledHuh

Hi there,

You didnt.

Your webspace is limited to 250mb. It has never been unlimited. The specs for all web hosting provision is available on the protal and to the best of my knowledge hasnt changed for a while. Even dedicated hosting with an external provider is not unlimited.

As for changing your package, that would depend on your current usage. Have a look at the current products and see what fits the bill. You should be able to downgrade for free. Whatever you change to, unless it is one of the very much more expensive business packages you will be limited to 250 mb web space.
hitachi
Grafter

Serious help needed

If you have linked to your webspace on popular forums it will not take long to go over your website limits.
I see that a couple of your very good photos are over 1.5Mb in size, if these are linked to you should consider reducing the size.
If you use the advanced webstats on this portal you can check if a lot of hits come from the same source which may give you some idea which pictures are giving the most problems.
N/A

Serious help needed

So how do I stop people looking at my webspaceHuh it appears that my webspace gets looked at via the URL
I have never had more than 30mb of used webspace ever... so any suggestions as to which package would be the best for me, I want my own website.. and be able to post pictures on photography forums without all this hassle
I download very little... a few pictures etc but have never downloaded films etc - so going back to 512k might be the answer but I want all this threats of cut off.. and actually being cut off stopped.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Serious help needed

The 30MB of space you've used up has nothing to do with the exessive bandwidth usage which is causing your site to be disabled, or the amount of bandwidth you use for surfing etc.

The daily bandwidth allowance for customer websites can be found here

As I understand it, pretty much all ISP's provide webspace as a courtesy only, their core business being to provide you with broadband.

Edit: Just looked at your site & I think most of your images could be drastically reduced in size without reducing the quality. This would help you keep within your bandwidth limits.
Community Veteran

Serious help needed

As mentioned above, reduce the size of the images on your site.
You are allowed 250 mB per day for people to view your site and with large images you can soon use that up.

Imagine if you had a site of say 20 images at 1.5 mB each and I visit the site and look at all the pictures. Thats 20 x 1.5 mB or 30 mB Ive used.
If another 9 people also look at your images the same day then thats 300 mB used and you have exeeded the limit.

250 mB per day is actually quite a generous allowance and I have a large site with lots of images on it that gets well used, but it rarely exceeds 100mB per day because I've kept the image sizes down.
N/A

Serious help needed

Most of the images n my webspace are less than 200kb the normal size of images shown on website forums is 800 pixels at the largest dimension

what I still dont understand is the fact that nearly all the websites I browse are Connected to Photography.. and most of the sites are showing hundreds and hundreds of pictures... and yet I post no more than 10 images on 2 different photography forums and I get warning after warning.. then webspace removed, you must forgive me if I appear ultra stupid about this.. but I dont follow the Logic of this at all.. having ones own website is basically telling others about ones self etc.. and the idea being to get your website so that as many people as possible can see what your about

yet what seems to happening is that if I have as an example a website that is 50mb in total uploaded to the webspace.. and as a ballpark figure I get 75 views in one day... my webspace is then removedHuh I find this aspect of it all hard to grasp
and would please like some advice as to what package would suit my needs.. bearing in mind that I do not want to be paying even more money that I am paying now.. as as people in this very thread have pointed out that I am paying way too much for my 2mb service now... and Plusnet said maybe I should upgrade to the £21.99 service... how does it become an upgrade when I pay £41 a month now... and (upgrade) to £21.99 a month

I would like to thank the people who have responded to this thread.. and hopefully find a pakage that will meet my needs -- without all the warnings etc
Community Veteran

Serious help needed

As it happens there has been this evening a tutorial added to the forums covering this very problem.
You will find it here
Its well worth a read and covers lots of ways to ensure sites stay within the download limits.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Serious help needed

Most of the images on my webspace are less than 200kb

I hope you don't mind, but I've just 'borrowed' one of your images & in just a few minutes, & with very little discernable loss in quality, was ably to get it down to less than half its original size (file size, not dimensions), 162KB down to 79KB.

With a little time & effort, you should be able to drastically reduce the size of your web pages (& hence the bandwidth requirements) which will hopefully prevents your site getting suspended again.

I would think that the pictures you're looking at on other sites are even smaller than that (I myself try to aim at around 25KB per picture on sites).
pimpernel
Grafter

Serious help needed

You can create a new .co.uk Domain Name for free and host in on www.compila.com for just £14.10 per annum with 50Mb of Space, Advanced Control Panel, In excess of 99.9% Uptime, Unmetered Bandwidth, FREE Hosting Setup, No Hidden Charges or Fees, 60 Day Guarantee, 1 POP3 Mailbox and Anti-Virus Scanning. Higher cost packages give you more facilities and more space and all with UNMETERED BANDWIDTH.
Had my web site there for nearly 3 years with no problems at all.
It's so cheap that why would you want to mess about with a website with less generous terms? Customer services is also brilliant.
I don't work for Compila, I'm just a satisfied customer.