cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending digital faxes

N/A

Sending digital faxes

Is there any way to send faxes from my computer using my Netgear DG824M ADSL router/modem? In the old days (last week) I couldn't use my 56k dialup wireless access point (Apple Airport base station) to send faxes so I had to keep a separate 56k modem hardwired and switch to it just to send faxes. I guess its a hardware rather than a software issue since I'm not aware of any software that can handle faxing from a wireless LAN. But please straighten me out if there is a way since I would love to get rid of the old 56k dialup modem forever. TIA.

Simon
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sending digital faxes

I am not aware of any way to send a normal FAX using ADSL.
As far as I know you will (like me) have to keep a dial up modem in the machine as well.
N/A

Sending digital faxes

Yes, that's the response I got. It's all about how fax and telephone work on one frequency, but ADSL works on another, and ADSL cannot use the phone/fax frequency at all (so faxes can't be sent). You could always use an email-to-fax service, I only know of one company which does this - efax UK.
Community Veteran

Sending digital faxes

Unless you find some online faxing service, then yes you will need to keep the 56k modem.

Chris
N/A

Sending digital faxes

Someone posted the URL for http://www.tpc.int in the Feedback newsgroup. Not quite what is required but a rather useful site all the same. I've just used it to check that my fax2email number is still working ok.

Dougie
N/A

Sending digital faxes

The tcp.int service is actualy very clever.

The cover sheet they send can be customised, by attaching a plaintext attachment with specific key value pairs in it.

The service is limited on the number of faxes that can be sent, however, it can send enough for even most offices.
N/A

Sending digital faxes

Looks v interesting - although I usually only need to send a fax when I absolutely must append a written signature or when I'm replying to a received paper fax. I'm not sure I would want my signature to be archived by any off-site service.

Simon

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Quote removed. It was unnecessary, as it just duplicated the whole of the previous post.

Thomas
N/A

Sending digital faxes

The current tcp.int provider for the UK is Demon / Thus Plc.

If sending to the UK, then they are bound by the data protection act, and as such, can't hold your data for longer than needed.

This means the following:

They should only hold a binary version of your FAX until delivery is complete, or they class it as failed

They hold your e-mail address only to track how many faxes you send per day/week, so that they can limit services. Once the maximum timeframe has passed, they should clear this information

They may hold the destination phone number for some time after sending your fax, however, only for internal accounting.

You should contact both Demon and Tcp.int for help on the data rentention policies.