Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing cable router problems

pennbank
Grafter

Please your thoughts,
My friend has a NTL cable modem attached to a D link DI-524 wireless cable router. His laptop is connected to the router via a wireless laptop card in the PCMCIA slot. He also has a lead running into the laptop ethernet connection and a port on his router.

In another room he has another computer which is connected to the D Link DI-524 wirless cable router through a usb wireless D Link adapter.

I am trying to secure his network, but the laptop only appears to have wep security and his other computer has WPA-PSK security.
No problem I thought.
Get his laptop on a wired network, and secure his other computer with WPA-PSK

However,
The laptop speaks to the DI-524 cable router through the wirless laptop card in the PCMCIA slot.
If you remove the lead from the laptop ethernet connecting the modem the wireless card stops working.
If I remove the wireless laptop card and rely on the lead already connected to the ethernet in the laptop and port on the router, the laptop will not connect to the internet.
If I hide his SSID on the D Link cable router the computer in the other room which connects via a D Link wireless usb adapter will not connect with the DI-524 cable router.
Please does any one have any ideas.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Just connect with the lan cable. The problem is if you have wireless and the lan you can only use one. The key is the default gate way setting as this tells it the path to the internet. If it has 2 its confused.

If you have wireless on then unplug it windows will still be looking at that interface and cant find it.

If you turn off the wireless and only use the lan it will work fine if it still gives problems set the IP manually. The tcip address is the same as the router plus 1 so if the router is 10.0.0.2 make the pc 10.0.0.3 and set the default gateway to the ip of the router
pennbank
Grafter

Many Thanks, I will try it on my next visit