cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Computer.

N/A

Second Computer.

Hi All,
I wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I am abit of a novice with computers so please bear with me! Shockedops:
I have brought my son a new pc for xmas which will be up in his bedroom. My pc is downstairs and connected to the internet with a usb dynamode modem. Can I run 2 pc's from my plusnet subscription if so how do I do this and what hardware will I need.

Thanks you for any help you can give.

Have a good Christmas all

Sara Hand
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Second Computer.

I would do it by purchasing a router. A 4 port one will allow you to run up to 4 PC's directly of it and many more if you were inclined by using hubs Cool
You will also need a network card in each PC. Many new PC's now come with these as standard but if not they are available for about £10.
N/A

Second Computer.

If you are thinking of upgrading to Broadband DSL in the future, it may be worth looking in advance at a DSL modem Router.
For the short term you can use the Internet connection sharing function on Windows 98, ME, 2000 XP. This method does have one drawback, the Computer designated as Host (the one with the modem) must be on for the second PC to access the Internet.
Look at this site for more info
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics
Community Veteran

Second Computer.

I thought from the first posing that the connection is already ADSL with a dynamode usb modem?Huh
N/A

Second Computer.

Thank you for the replies.

Yes I already have plusnet adsl. I will look into getting a router.
Can we both be on the internet at the same time??

Thanks again Cheesy

Sara.
Community Veteran

Second Computer.

Yes there would be no problem doing that.
In fact I have 3 PC's here all capable of using the net at the same time and I have on occasion had all 4 ports of the router used at once.

The other advantage you will get doing it this way is being able to share disks, folders, or files from one PC to the other. Great for creating a backup of important data by copying it to a second PC Wink
N/A

Second Computer.

Sorry, assumed the USB Dynamode was the V92 Dial.

Yes, with a modem router you can both access the internet at the same time, but you will share the available bandwidth.
I guess from the siting of the PC's it would be difficult to route cables (my preference), so I would go for one of the many wireless modem routers available.
This site gives you info on setting up;
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2003/03/21/home_wifi.html
Community Veteran

Second Computer.

Yes they can both share the connection.

You and you son's PC will be on a local network, both PCs will be plugged into the router and allow both to share the DSL connection - the router handles all the complicated routing stuff as it is designed to do.

The difficulty might be getting a network cable connection from your son's PC to the router as they are in different rooms. The solution to that is to use wireless communications. This means you need to purchase a 4 port router which has wireless capablity and purchase a PC wireless network card to connect your son's PC to a wireless network.

You can also save some complications by replacing the current USB ADSL modem with a combined modem/router/hub. If you go the wireless route, the device also needs to have wireless capability - such devices do exist.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Second Computer.

THank you very much for all your help...its very much appreciated. :lol:

Sara.
Simon_M
Grafter

Second Computer.

Sara

I agree - a wireless router makes the most sense unless it's very easy to run a cable upstairs.

Have a look here for reviews of some of the most popular. Don't forget that if you do go the wireless route, you will need a wireless network adapter card in the upstairs pc, which are rather more than the £10ish that a wired network card costs. You should connect your downstars computer with a cable.

I've got the older non-wireless version of the Intertex IX-66 (second one down on the page) with a separate wireless access point. I am very pleased with it & they have an absolutely excellent user run support site with manufacturer input (bit like these forums really!) here.

Between the two sites you should get all the help you need to set it up.

If your son is into online games or chat - text and/or voice, then report back, because some routers are easier than others to set up for this sort of use.

Simon