cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second ADSL Modem

N/A

Second ADSL Modem

I currently connect to broadband via my PC / USB modem in my office up in the loft.
Does anybody know if there would be a problem installing a second modem on an extension on the ground floor so that I could connect down there using my laptop? I would only have one modem powered up at a time, will this work Huh In hindsight might I have been better off opting for a Router?

Thanks, ....Phil.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Second ADSL Modem

> I currently connect to broadband via my PC / USB modem in my office up in the loft.
> Does anybody know if there would be a problem installing a second modem on an extension on the ground floor so that I could connect down there using my laptop? I would only have one modem powered up at a time, will this work Huh In hindsight might I have been better off opting for a Router?
>
> Thanks, ....Phil.

Would it be better to get network cards in each machine and a cat5 lead between the machines and just share the connection. This would also anable file/printer sharing.

The only drawback is that you would need to have the main machine switched on when you wanted to use the laptop.

Bill
N/A

Hi Phil,

Bill is right. Check out this link. I think it contains all the info you need.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=HomeNet

Rem if you are connecting 2 PC's and not using a hub you will require a crossover cable as opposed to a straight Cat 5 .

Good luck.

Mark
N/A

a ROUTER is the best option. You cant have two modems unless you actual unplug one when you want to use the other. Even if the machine is off it still stops you connecting. Unpluging the modem is ok but a pain to do all the time.

> I currently connect to broadband via my PC / USB modem in my office up in the loft.
> Does anybody know if there would be a problem installing a second modem on an extension on the ground floor so that I could connect down there using my laptop? I would only have one modem powered up at a time, will this work Huh In hindsight might I have been better off opting for a Router?
>
> Thanks, ....Phil.

N/A

> a ROUTER is the best option. You cant have two modems unless you actual unplug one when you want to use the other. Even if the machine is off it still stops you connecting. Unpluging the modem is ok but a pain to do all the time.
>
>
> > I currently connect to broadband via my PC / USB modem in my office up in the loft.
> > Does anybody know if there would be a problem installing a second modem on an extension on the ground floor so that I could connect down there using my laptop? I would only have one modem powered up at a time, will this work Huh In hindsight might I have been better off opting for a Router?
> >
> > Thanks, ....Phil.
>
>

Thanks for the ideas everybody, food for thought. Sounds like I've got to run a cat5 cable through two floors whatever I decide (unless I go wirelessHuh Oh no! more expense!! )

Regards, ... Phil.
fonejacker
Grafter

> Thanks for the ideas everybody, food for thought. Sounds like I've got to run a cat5 cable through two floors whatever I decide (unless I go wirelessHuh Oh no! more expense!! )

I went wireless and haven't regretted it for a second. You can't beat sitting in the Garden with a cold beer and your laptop, watching the missus do the gardening ;-)

Ian
N/A

"I went wireless and haven't regretted it for a second. You can't beat sitting in the Garden with a cold beer and your laptop, watching the missus do the gardening ;-)"

Allthough not for a few months yet!! Tongue