cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screewed over by plusnet

N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

Username willjazz We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer SupportCentre has now closed Question number [ 21138265 ]. The following comment was added to the QuestionDear Mr Carne,Please allow me to apologise for the performance issues you have been experiencing. I’d like to take a minute to explain the most likely reason that you've recently noticed a degraded performance. Firstly though, I’d like to point out that there can be many factors which contribute to speed problems such as the one you are reporting. These include among other things: - The capacity at your local BT exchange.- Unauthorised usage of wireless equipment at your premises.- Some type of virus or other malicious software (e.g. Spyware) that is using your connection without your knowing.- Other people using your connection without you knowing. http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges will show you the current status of your exchange. http://speedtester.bt.com will let you test the speed of your connection directly against the BT Network. However, as well as the factors above, your account shows that your peak-time usage over the last month has been above the level for which your product was designed. This is also significantly above the average usage for the product. The background to this is that during recent months we have seen a general increase in average usage from our customers. This was resulting in speed problems for many people during busy times. As part of the process of resolving this, we found that a small proportion of customers were consuming a considerably large portion of the bandwidth that we have available. This meant we needed to address the concerns of the large majority of our user base and take actions to ensure a fair performance for everyone. As such, we have now taken measures to ensure all of our customers receive a fair share of the available bandwidth. For a number of our customers, this may mean a reduction in the speeds of http downloads and other protocols during peak times. We believe you should still be receiving a very usable service. We haven't added any individual limits to your account, on top of any management that may have been applied as per our traffic management policy. This is explained here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml We are still happy for affected customers, such as yourself, to continue to download large files. This should be possible for you, although at a lower rate than may have been possible previously. However, we would ask that you make any large downloads outside of peak hours. This is to make sure that all of our customers receive a performance that is fair and provides good value for money. If you feel that your usage figures are higher than you had expected, it is likely that there may be other factors causing your high usage levels. We would be more than happy to discuss these with you. If we see a decrease in your usage over the next 14 day period, your profile will be automatically adjusted. You may also wish to consider an alternative broadband product which is more suitable to your usage requirements. We would be happy to discuss any aspect of this with you further. However, it's possible that we don’t offer a suitable product at the moment- so we'd also be happy to discuss helping you move to another ISP who can offer a package more suited to your needs. Regards,link:CUAremoved
I rang support and asked to be moved to another isp as they couldnt provide a better service, during peek times i get 2kb/s and during offpeak times 400kb/s, because one month out of 9 I went over my usage so this is the speed they restricted me too. plusnet agreed to help me move to another ISP but I would have to pay 2 months of service. I said im not paying it, this is blackmail, cripple my account then force me to buy out. what kind of company is this there fucking link:removed.

Im now off to write to oftel. oh yea and the stupid voip never worked properly either so i never used that.

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Removed Agents name and an attack on Plusnet Staff.]
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Screewed over by plusnet

I very much doubt that you have been asked to pay for two months of service. This is the way migrating to another ISP works.
[list=1]
  • You request your MAC code. The date you request this is the start of your 30 day notice period.
  • If you have any deferred charges on your account under the "You Stay, We Pay" scheme (activation, moves, modem) you are required to settle these immediately.
  • Plusnet issue your MAC code which you give to another ISP, the MAC code is valid for 30 days, providing it is used within 30 days the migration can complete after that time.
  • On your next billing date, you will be charged your normal amount (Plusnet will continue billing you as normal as many requested MAC codes are not used)
  • The same day as your migration completes and your Broadband is active with your new ISP you notify Plusnet of this fact.
  • If you have not passed a billing date since requesting the MAC code you can ask Plusnet for a final amount to be paid by Credit Card etc. to take you up to the end of your 30 day notice period (or you can let the payment be taken and then request the refund as in the next point).
  • If you have passed your billing date you request a refund to cover the period from the end of your 30 day notice to the date the last payment covered.[/listShocked]
    HTH
  • jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

Hi wiljazz,

I'm sympathetic - I've just had my "Fault/Question" closed with exactly the same response (it's obviously a standard letter they issue).

Most months, my BB Plus usage is in the region of 2GB (well within the 4GB allowance) - this month I've passed 6GB and I should be experiencing "Level 2 restrictions" which were initialy a perfectly tolerable 512kbps limit during peak hours, suddenly a few days ago my speeds dropped to around 40kbps and the latency/delays make my service almost unusable (dial-up is better).

Unfortunately, the real background to this is that PlusNet simply do not have the current capacity to provide a good service to all of their customers and their associated usage.

The hard nosed reality is that PlusNet are more than happy to lose customers that they aren't making money out of - that's the way business works. They want to keep those that are profitable and persuade any others to either pay more or leave.

I could upgrade, but after PlusNet's shoddy response and poor service/performance management, I think I'd prefer to let a better ISP benefit from my extra money.

I won't entirely rule out staying with PlusNet - I'm going to shop around, and I'll do whatever is best for me.

P.S. Orange Unlimited looks like a good deal (but beware the unspecific "Fair Usage Policy).
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

I was going to go back to pipex.net then I saw these guys www.greenisp.net so think im going to get buissness broadband 8mb with 86 kb/s upstream. double that of plusnet upstream and 20:1 contention for another £15 or so a mth.
    Zathras
    Grafter

Screewed over by plusnet

Odd they mention contention ratios when noone else does nowadays since upto8mbs.
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

thats why im gonna go with them i looked all over there site couldnt see any of the usual small print thats associated with companys like plusnet
    Community Veteran

Screewed over by plusnet

Very interesting its great to see an ISP, with true green credentials. Such as offering solar powered web hosting.

I have had a good look around their web site and am left with one question. What happen if the sun goes behind a cloud, Halifax is not known for its year round sunshine Cheesy

OK, jokes aside do you know who is behind greenisp?

Chilly
    Zathras
    Grafter

Screewed over by plusnet

I know what you mean it does sound abit 'jump on the bandwagon/trendy' but whats backing it up.
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

think youll find its solar power aided or night time usage might be a problem heh.

Cant wait to get my tree planted.

having another line put in my house just out of spite to plusnet, so i can keep my service going for the 12 months and not give them something for nothing which is what the service has been like for the last week.
    Community Veteran
    Fixes: 8

Screewed over by plusnet

There is absolutely no way 8MB at 20:1 contention can be provided for £21.99 per month.

They claim it is contended within the BT network - BT stopped doing that before MaxDSL was launched as their VPs don't have anything like enough capacity to give that level of contention.
    jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
       Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
    Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
    Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
    Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

your looking at home usage , im looking at buisness broadband which is just under £50 per mth
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

What do you think of these people's offerings... http://www.names.co.uk/adsl.html ? They seem to be a better balance of low cost, and PAYG for excess usage - and no mention of punitive speed restrictions.
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

theres no mention of there upload speeds, had a look at there dedicated servers and they suck aswell I offer better over 1900 gb per mth more at the same price on the servers i sell at houseservers.co.uk and on a dedicated 100mbit line
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

Phew - despite PlusNet's closing my "Question/Fault" without acknowleding any faults - my speeds have suddenly returned to normal within the the last hour...

Speed test at around 5 P.M. today...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/11699175492913241780.html

Speed test just afew minutes ago...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/11699253723975825169.html

It's only 500kbps because I have passed my monthly usage limit, but that's fine - but you shouldn't expect 34kbps and huge latency/delay.

Fingers crossed that this problem won't return - some considerable customer goodwill has been damaged, and I'm keeping options open.
    N/A

Screewed over by plusnet

They're obviously right on the ball!

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
    We will be using the first quarter of 2006 to really get the message out and during the Winter of 2004/5 we worked with TreeSponsibility, a community based Climate Action Group to offset all of our estimated 25 Tonnes per year of Co2 emissions (by "sequestration").

A wee bit out of date perhaps, or is it acceptable for a web based company to fail to update their website for 12mths?

Source: Green ISP About Us: