cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan disk problems after installing ADSL modem

N/A

Hi,

I had a few problems with my PC in that it wouldnt scandisk or defrag. After trying various things I decided to format the HD and reinstall everything.

I installed all the basics and then ran a scan disk which was fine, with no errors. However when I then installed the ADSL modem and McAfee virus scan online I can no longer do a scan disk or defrag even in safe mode.

I've got the internal PCI modem and have win98se.

Has anyone else had this problem or could anyone sugeest a remedy.

Many thanks

John Hill
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If your using 98's scan disk ect then thats more than likely the problem, there not that reliable.

Best to use a 3rd party scan disk and defragger. Or upgrade to win2000/xp which have more reliable HDD tools
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

have you tied disabling you AV and then doing it? Mcaffe seem to hog all the cpu under all sorts of conditions.

You dont say why you cant use it what actualy happens
N/A

Thanks for your responses

I uninstalled McAfee and that sorted out the problem.

Time to look for a new anti virus I guess !

Thanks for responding.
N/A

It does not matter which antivirus software you use, if it is set to scan on disk reads you will probably have this type of problem.

Set your antivirus software to scan disk writes only, this will ensure you are protected. You can always perform a manual scan following any new virus advisories and pattern/scan engine updates.

Darren.