Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

Hi all,

Question I need help on.

I have 4 Static IPS setup from Plusnet with one being the external interface of the router and the other being an IIS server on the private segment of my home LAN.

Now heres what I can't get working. I want to allow NAT to continue on my Solwise 110 for my other 10.0.0 address PCs (2 other machines) AND the IIS server with the fixed 212 address number to access the Internet AND be accessed back in via the 110.

Can someone point me in the right direction here please? I presume I need to setup the 110 to allow the static non 10 address to go out?

Anyone help?

Thanks

Tony
9 REPLIES
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

For details of how to forward port 80 for IIS, see the Solwise Forums, in particular item (7) of the orginal post.

The IIS webserver will then be accessed by people pointing their browsers to ballistix1.plus.com.

If you're going to use NAT, you don't need the 4 public IP addresses -- the best thing is to ask PlusNet to change you onto a NAT service rather than No-NAT, which will enable them to make better use of the 4 IP addresses.
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

Sorry I didn't explain clearly enough Smiley

I need the static on the IIS server...however I also need 2 other machines with a 10.0.0.xxx address also to have access out. So in summary, I need the static and the NAT machines to have access outbound. ...also the static machine to be available on port 80 inbound..

Hope someone can help!

TT
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

You explained perfectly well, and I understand you want all machines to have Internet access. Forwarding port 80 to the IIS machine will enable people on the Internet to access the webserver; all your machines will have Internet access.

What you haven't explained is why you think the IIS machine needs a public IP address.
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

OK. Sorry, I wasn't having a go! Smiley

OK here is what I am trying to do.

I am running a soap interface on the web server. To do that you have to setup WSDL files and use an abosolute path, including either a domain name or a static IP address.

Now, I can set this up using NAT perfectly...my problem is is that I HAVE to test this with both machines external to the IIS machine AND my PCs on the same local network as it. Here lies the problem. I can't do that if they are all on NAT. Because the external machines will expect to see either a static OR a domain name (In the WSDL reference pointer).

If I use NAT of course and I point it to the domain (using TZO or one of the dynamic DNS services) then the router realises that I am poiting at its external interface and I get an authentication popup. So no win situation there.

Not sure I've explained it very well. But due to the limitations of SOAP I have to have a static address. I can then point to that static from a 10.0.0xxx machine local to it AND the machines from the outside.

Yikes, hope that makes at least a bit of sense...

Hope you can help!

TT
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

None of that changes the essential issue. Your "static" IP addresses do not all need to be public; you already have one public (and static) IP address, that of your router, and it is capable of forwarding traffic to an internal IP address (private, but also static), that of your IIS machine.

As far as I am aware, only port 80 needs to be forwarded for what you want to do.

People accessing the service from outside will do so by stipulating your hostname, ballistix1.plus.com (or, if they prefer the public and static IP address 212.159.90.249).

If you, from inside you network, wish to use the hostname ballistix1.plus.com, then you can add an entry in your etc/hosts file (<install_drive>:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows) so that ballistix1.plus.com is resolved to 10.0.0.<whatever>, the internal IP address of your IIS machine.

So, from outside, ballistix1.plus.com can resolve to 212.159.90.249 (the address of your router, which will then forward to the IIS machine), and from inside ballistix1.plus.com can point to 10.0.0.<whatever>.
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

Taskforce, I really appreciate you help here Smiley

The only problem we have with that is that the SOAP WSDL file can only have one IP reference. IE 10.0.0.5 or the domain name of ballistx1.plus.com OR a static IP address. It cannot do both.

So whilst you are right at the protocol level, unfortunately SOAP does not allow you to do this. So I can either get it to work with 10.0.0.5 OR ballistix1.plus.com.

You see my problem? I want to be able to access the machine using SOAP by both my internal machine AND externally. The only way I believe I can do this is by having a second IP on the IIS/SOAP server that can punch out of the Solwise 110 using it's static AND be accessed as a static by my 10.0.0.xxx machine out and back in via the router?

Cheesy

TT
benoh
Grafter

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

If you, from inside you network, wish to use the hostname ballistix1.plus.com, then you can add an entry in your etc/hosts file (<install_drive>:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\etc\hosts on Windows) so that ballistix1.plus.com is resolved to 10.0.0.<whatever>, the internal IP address of your IIS machine.
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

By using the hostname ballistix1.plus.com you can use the fact that that name can be resolved locally (through your etc/hosts file) to IP address 10.0.0.<whatever> but remotely (through PlusNet's DNS servers) to 212.159.90.249.

Therefore, by stipulating the hostname in your WSDL and exercising some cunning over the resolver services, you can cater for both external and internal clients.
N/A

STATIC IPS and NAT Setup

You win!

Sorry guys, thats the answer...being thick...off to drink wine...I think this will crack it...

Thanks again, and sorry for being so verbose!

TT