cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR problem

N/A

SNR problem

I came on to the forum a couple of weeks ago with a problem of a low SNR figure after being upgraded to 1meg connection. When I had a 512mb connection, my SNR was at least 10db - I had a nice steady connection with very few sync losses. However, when PlusNet upgraded me to 1meg, I noticed the SNR had dropped to between 5db and 7db, resulting in a loss of sync quite frequently. (I live about 3.5km from the exchange). My local Line Atten hasn't changed since the upgrade - it's always been between 46dB and 47dB. I bought some of the XF-1e microfilters, which haven't made a difference to the SNR, or made the connection more stable. Then I noticed a pattern. If I lose sync and can't get it back (through re-booting, etc), I take my modem downstairs and plug it into the main socket. It syncs straight away. I try it with and without the phone plugged in - it always syncs. I try it in other sockets - it always syncs. I take it back upstairs again and connect it to the computer - it syncs straight away and my SNR is usually been 8.5-9.5dB, and I have a lovely solid connection for about two days. Usually on the second morning before I go to work, the SNR is back down to 5-6dB again. I know when I get back from work, they'll be no sync. When I get back from work in the evening, I go through the above procedures again, and it all syncs up with a nice steady SNR of 8.5-9.5dB. This will usually last a couple of days before I have to do it again. Unfortunately, I can't get my computer downstairs to see what the SNR reading is in the main socket. Hopefully I can borrow my dad's laptop in the next couple of dats to try.
Does anyone have any idea whether this might be a line fault, or a fault in the house wiring? It'd be nice to get that steady SNR all the time without having to go through this every time.
Forgot to mention I'm using the BT Voyager 205 router. I actually got an SNR of 10.5dB last night after going through the usual procedure - the highest yet. It was still ok this morning, but I suspect the SNR will drop tonight and I'll have no connection tomorrow.