cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP via relay.plus.net before activation

N/A

Hi

I have signed up and my activation is on Friday. I wanted to get my PC all ready, but the SMTP server relay.plus.net will not send any of my messages even though I can send via btinternet.

My question is, can I only use relay.plus.net AFTER activation, ie, when I am using the plus.net broadband service, or have I got my settings wrong? I am sending a username/password but the password gets rejected each time. :?
3 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

You can't use the service till it's activated.
That's the whole point of activating it.
N/A

Yes, I know I can't use the broadband service until it is activated, but I do seem to have access to the email and web services already. Thus, back to my original question, is access to relay.plus.net only possible via a plus.net broadband connection?

BTW, IMAP access to the plus.net mailboxes seems to work fine going via imap.plus.net both inbound and outbound, which seems to contradict the plus.net help, which says to use relay.plus.net for outbound IMAP.
Community Veteran

You can only use relay.plus.net from a PlusNet IP and you won't get that until you are activated.

IMAP access is the same as POP3 in that it can be accessed from any IP address, however any mail sent will go via SMTP not IMAP.