cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP via proxy on home network.

N/A

OK - the plus net guys can't help with this one so over to the forum for a try Smiley

I have a home network. Main PC connected direct to the net via adsl and surfs, emails, etc without any problems. Also, inter local net communications are woking well. However ...............

I cannot get eMail through to my son's PC. He can send but not receive as no matter which proxy or mail server I use I get an error on the smtp send side of things. So now I am looking for answers.

For information:

I have tried this on a W2k3 Server, an XP sp2 box, a Win2k Server and a Win2k box. I have used two different plus net accounts from a variety of sources including the 'registered' links so as to negate any issue of relaying. The software I really want to get working is Office Mail by Burrotech but it throws out the following:

18:52: Starting SMTP delivery
Opening connection to relay.plus.net
Conenction seems to have failed - check host
Disconnected

Connection is up and running however as sending (pop) via this package works 100% - it is just receiving.

Any help gratefully received.
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I'm confused. relay.plus.net is the outgoing server.

SMTP is for outgoing mail, POP3 is for incoming mail. It seems the problem lies with your server setup. Incoming needs to be mail.plus.net and outgoing relay.plus.net.
N/A

Sorry - type that in a rush and having re-read it I meant to say he can receive but NOT send!! Doh!

Switch the terms around and it makes sense.

To clarify - I cannot get send vai SMTP to work. Whether I log in my user id and password or no.
LiamM
Grafter

Ah right, firstly, he is definately connected via the Plusnet connection yeah?

You can only send email through Plusnet's mail servers whilst connected to Plusnet.

Secondly, do you have any security software installed? Norton Internet Security has issues with Outlook IIRC, ZoneAlarm? Allowed access through the firewall?
N/A

Yes, I am definitely connected through PlusNet and the security software does not affect it. To prove this I have disabled my entire security setup and the same fault exists. FYI, I run Outpost Firewall and all necessary permissions are set and I also use McAfee AV plus various spyware sweepers (not always live).

My gut feeling is that there is some deepseated issue with the XP box that links out to the plusnet servers but everything works fine from that box it is just if elsewhere on my home lan.

I have now paid for an authenticated smtp setup (needed it for other reasons, but this has brought the purchase forward) and using the same setup (as in mail software and mail server software) but different smtp link I can send where once I couldn't on a test lan at work. When I return to home and use the same setup as work - only the NT domain and proxy software is different (I can't afford ISA 2004 <g>) - I get the same error back.

Maybe it is the proxy software, but I'm not convinced.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

What proxy sotfware are you using? also have you tried pinging relay.plus.net from the other PC (Non- server)?

Phil
N/A

What proxy s/w? Hmm I've tried many but the one I settled on is - ccproxy - and it works fine for internet access.

I have followed their setup advice and no change. However, on the whole my son doesn't have internet access but I am trying to give him eMail access.

The way I am doing this is to use Office Mail (OM) from www.burrotech.com. This way I have OM running on my main internet box and my son can receive and send to OM with no problems. It is OM doing the send that is the problem and it generates the error listed at the top of this thread. Also the main OM window gives an additional error of: - Windows socket error:an established connection was aborted b - and I can't expand the program window to see teh rest of the error.

The OM support site says the initial error is indicative of - "the SMTP server is not correctly spelt, your <sic> are on the wrong port or the server itself is offline for some reason. "

All not true except maybe the last but they can't seem to help with it any further and thus I am here.

For info: I have succesfully setup OM at work and it works fine with the exact same details which leads me to think my machine or my TCP/IP stack.

But any help still appreciated greatly.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Hmm interesting problem. I would start at yuor server. Can you make a telnet connection to relay.plus.net Should get a welcome type banner (1 or 2 lines) idenifing the system. Now if this work - looks like OM issue and not a Windows IP issue.

Phil
N/A

OK.

This I've done - from my box I can telnet to relay.plus.net 25 and get the relevant HELO or EHLO response.

I'm also trying this with an Authenticated SMTP service I pay for and can telnet, from my box, to their server on port 2525 with no problems.

I'v etaken some screen dumps from my work setup to see if I've mis-configured something at home and will check that later - as I say, gut feeling is that it is my box and, well I guess I could do with a rebuild around about now - unless we can get this working Smiley
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

Could you forward or post a details setup of your home lan. May help to work out what is wrong.
N/A

Win2k Server - really only there as a test bed and for fiddling with - running an AD domain and directly connected to a 10/100 hub..

My box - XP sp2 connected to Plus Net (USB Modem) and the hub - Outpost firewall and NAI AV.
My son's - again XP sp2 connected via wireless AP plugged into the hub. WEP enabled.
Other assorted old hadware running Linux, Win2k, Win98, BeOS, all directly plugged into the hub and one wireless laptop on Win2k.
Class C subnet - all IPs issued via DHCP from the server.

Not sure what else you might want. I have been toying with the idea of re-organising and making the network easier but then that would take away the fun of the experimental stuff. One thought was to stick the broadband connection onto the server and feed everything that way .

Anyway - I am as certain as one can be with Microsoft stuff that the network is not the problem - I hope not as this is what I do for a living and that could be a big faux pas - and as I've said before, the gut tells me it is the XP box that is the issue.

Stu.

PS Old hardware never dies it jut comes to my house Smiley