Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP delivery when PC is off

fishter
Grafter

Hi everyone,

I recently setup a local mail server and set my plusnet mail delivery options to SMTP. As I understand it, none of my mail now travels through plusnets mail servers.

My original intention was to have the mail server running 24/7, but unfortunately I have to switch it off this weekend as I am having guests to stay, and the spare bedroom is where the (rather noisy) server is! :roll:

What will happen to my mail while the server is switched off? If it is queued, what (if anything) do I need to do to trigger the delivery? If it is bounced, should I set the delivery options to POP3 for the duration of the outage?

Any advice appreciated. Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

Provided you have used the SMTP delivery option, and not set mail to manual (and created the MX records yourself), then everything should be fine for queuing.

These mails will either be delivered to autoturn.plus.net or mx.last.plus.net (this one inturn forwards to autoturn.plus.net when it is ready to accept it).

To dequeue from the Autoturn servers, you need to use the finger command. You specify postmaster@autoturn.plus.net as the argument. (postmaster can be anything, it is ignored).

If you don't have the finger command, then you can just use the telnet command to connect to autoturn.plus.net on port 79.

If you want to do it quickly, when you turn your server back on, you can quickly click on the following link.

telnet://autoturn.plus.net:79/
fishter
Grafter

Mixed bag of DNS records

Provided you have used the SMTP delivery option, and not set mail to manual (and created the MX records yourself), then everything should be fine for queuing.

Then there may be a problem!

I've got a mixed bag...

SMTP delivery for fishter.plus.com
SMTP delivery selected for mydomain.com
and an MX record for mydomain.com pointing to the server at fishter.plus.com....

Does the SMTP delivery option override the MX record, or is it t'other way round?

FWIW I've altered the DNS records to erase the MX record and avoid confusing the issue in future.

Cheers,
N/A

Your username.plus.com addresses will queue fine on autoturn.

As for your domain.

You must select SMTP delivery in the domain control panel AND add a MX record.

It is only if set to other that autoturn will not act as a backup.
fishter
Grafter

Cheers Philip,

All is well, I know this as I managed to pick up the usual amount of spam this morning!

Thanks again,