cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP and ADSL service breaks

N/A

SMTP and ADSL service breaks

I'm now on ADSL and want to go to SMTP delivery. However the Adsl goes down every now and then for a few seconds/minutes due to noise bursts on the line.

a) WIll this cause a problem?

b) do I need to repeat the finger autoturn@... after the interuption?

c) If mail arrives while the link is down what happens to the mail?
4 REPLIES
beskar
Grafter

RE: SMTP and ADSL service breaks

While you are here... do you find you HAVE to use the finger command to start mail download? Once only (unless line goes down)?

I ask because on my last connection (with Zen) no 'finger' was required, mail just came down the line for SMTP.

N/A

a) WIll this cause a problem?
No not really.

b) do I need to repeat the finger autoturn@... after the interuption?
It is always suggested, as this wil dequeue any mail that we have recieved for you during the interuption.

c) If mail arrives while the link is down what happens to the mail?
It is redirected to our mailserver autoturn. As soon as you issue a finger to the autoturn server, the mail is dequeued back to your IP.

> While you are here... do you find you HAVE to use the finger command to start mail download?
Yep

Once only (unless line goes down)?
You only need to do it if you have been offline. This is to dequeue any mail autoturn mail have collected for you when you are offline.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support ................. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
beskar
Grafter

Thanks, that's cleared yet another headache up.

I guess that servers could therefore do with some kind of script to run the finger request when they and the router are rebooted (otherwise a support person would have to be around to do this).

For the record, Demon and Zen seem to just push the mail along the pipe as soon as they see a connection.
benoh
Grafter

> Thanks, that's cleared yet another headache up.
>
> I guess that servers could therefore do with some kind of script to run the finger request when they and the router are rebooted (otherwise a support person would have to be around to do this).
>
> For the record, Demon and Zen seem to just push the mail along the pipe as soon as they see a connection.
>

This is something we are looking into with the implementation of new mail services in the near future.

Ben O'Hara
Network Support Analyst
PlusNET Technologies Ltd.