cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL vs aDSL

N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

Do you know how many times I had to ask that question...

and now you finally answer!
16 REPLIES
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

OK

So I understand the difference in the 2 products

(SDSL offers the same upload speed as download, where as aDSL offers a crippled upload speed usually 256k).

Now my question is this:

Given the current price of SDSL I am limited to a 256K speed, what are the benefits of choosing this as apposed to ADSL.
Are the contention rates offered better (and thus a better speed?).

Will I be better off sticking with my aDSL?
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

I suppose it all depends on your priorities, but personally I wouldn't pay extra for a faster upload speed right now.

Yes, there are times when I could do with it, but having lived for years with 56k (max upload 33.6 IIRC) before changing to ISDN then, at last, ADSL broadband, which has an upload speed of over seven times the old dial-up and twice the speed of dual-channel ISDN, I am prepared to be patient and see what happens in the future, both in terms of ADSL upload speeds and SDSL pricing, and I certainly wouldn't consider changing ISP just for the extra upload speed.
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

I have to agree.

Broadband for the consumer at least, is about information gathering and not information sending.

When it comes to the business market, it very much depends on the business and its needs.

For most, ti is about getting the job done, and not getting it does quicker. Certainly, DSL is a great improvment over dialup, but then huge companies where capable of running there business over dialup, so ADSL has proabably helped there usability and production.

SDSL is about business needs, and not about matching upload and download speeds. It does better ADSL on upload speeds (capable of 2Mb upload, where ADSL only supports 1Mb tops).

The primary goal is the contention and stability.
ADSL is installed on a dedicated curcuit, without any voice abilities.
The curcuit is installed with only SDSL in mind, so stability is almost gurenteed.
Contention is lower, gurenteeing neer constant up and/or downloading, wihtout a single worry of such things as FUP

It is possible however, to gain much of the function of SDSL, through two ADSL connections. I beleive TCO can be cheaper too.
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

Thanks for the responses

Sorry for not giving a full explanation behind my query.

I am wanting to host some servers (nothing too heavy at the moment, and leased lines are too expensive...)
These will be webservers and also a file server.

So I need a decent upload speed and average download speed (the users upload speed will be highly crippled so this isn't an issue...)

SDSL is in my price range but I don't think I can justify it over ADSL.

Is there any speed difference on the uploadsHuh?

I am currently considering the options so please give any suggestion you feel would be applicable. (please note these servers need to be on site...)
but i like the idea of 2 ADSL connections and will have to look into this a little more.
Community Veteran

SDSL vs aDSL

SDSL is the same speed up and down. This is why it's being sold separately and is not just another version of ADSL. Also you can;t run a normal phone on an SDSL line like you can with ADSL so you will have to factor in a new BT line for it if you don't have any spare.

Bonding 2 ADSL lines together can be expensive in regards to equipment costs and requires the ISP to support it which PlusNet don't at the moment.
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

OK

so what i seem to be getting from people at the moment is that SDSL is generally a no go area...

Its speed isn't that much different from ADSL (a 256KB SDSL connection compared to normal 512KB ADSL)

There are additional setup costs, the general cost is also upto 10 times more expensive.

But no one is answering my question... which is fastest at uploading filesHuh??

I don't want the fastest possible speeds but more an average speed in practice...

My company can't afford a leased line at the moment and we fealt SDSL could be a better option.
But now i find at the speed I want SDSL at ADSL will more than do the job.?

Please tell me if I am wrong.
Community Veteran

SDSL vs aDSL

I thought I had answered the upload question. SDSL upload speeds are the same as the download speeds

An SDSL 512K connection has a 512Kbs upload speed so can upload approx twice as fast as any current ADSL connection (which is limited to 256Kbs upload speeds). An SDSL 1Mbs connection has a 1Mbs upload speed so is 4 x the current ADSL upload speeds.

Line lengths will limit what SDSL speed you can get and for the same download speed as ADSL, you need to be approx half the distance from the exchange for the same speed SDSL. I.e. a 3.5KM line length may get 2Mbs ADSL but only 1Mb or possibly 512Kbs SDSL.

SDSL is only available at limited number of exchanges and primarily in city centres or high population centres, but the coverage is improving month by month. If you want a faster upload speed then at the moment, SDSL is the only option.
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

Hi, I am totally aware what SDSL mean and what speeds are offered.

But how do contention rates affect these speeds.

I never get what speeds are advertised for my plusnet ADSL, and you are aware of this, hence the recent fair usage policy.

What contention rate is SDSL? 50:1, 20:1, 1:1 etc....

I am also looking into bulldog, as they offer 400K upstream for no additional costs.

I am currently located 500M from my exchange, but have no SDSL here...

At another of one of my locations we can get SDSL as of june... and upto 2MBps.

So is SDSL only worth it if you go for 512KB and higher,

If this is so why do plus net offer SDSL @ 256KbpsHuh and why is it priced so highHuh?
N/A

SDSL not worth it

ok so with the lack of an adequate response i am left to presume that there is no advantages of taking out SDLS 256K over adsl standard broadband.

Now come to think of it is there any point in taking out a 512K SDSL when other companies do offer ADSL with 400K upload speeds and upto 4MB download for a thrid of the price.

If plus net fail to answer this then all that i can say is, don't go for low speed SDSL.

If you are considering a 1MB SDSL reconsider, you could possibly be better off with a 256K leased line. (which has a 1:1 contention rate, so should in theory be much faster than 1MB.)

Does anyone even know what contention rates are offered with SDSL?Huh
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

bulldog are offering 2meg SDSL for 160/month with a 3:1 ratio, same as all their other products, I think for a bit more you get a 1:1

Buz
craigbrass
Grafter

SDSL vs aDSL

Rather than moaning about which is best, sign http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/1mbupload Smiley
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

signature added to the petition.

I'm not sure as to whether standard users would require this so I posted honestly.

Being given the options to choose the packages you actually require would be nice.

Say if you only upload information (say a small web server)
a 512K download and a 2MB upload?

if you only download information (general home users)
a 4MB download and a 128K upload

To be honest this should solve most peoples problems Wink

Even plus nets worries of Peer to Peer applications and bittorrent would be solved. People would be livid as downloads from other clients would be capped to their lower upload speeds due to their greed for download?

Imagine it, plus net could even poineer a revolution in this area.

It could work on a tarriff counter, you could change the package monthly...
increase download (thusly decreasing upload) and vise versa.

Lets hope someone is listening to this
N/A

SDSL vs aDSL

Plusnet will have more options with maXDSL maybe a 512k download and 832k (90kbps) upload could happen?
Community Veteran

SDSL vs aDSL

The MaxDSL faster uploads are currently only available if you have a 2Mb or faster download speed. linky.