Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL prices

Cloudmaster
Grafter

SDSL prices

Hi all,

I'm just curious to know exactly why SDSL prices are so much more than ADSL, the equipment used by BT / PlusNET can't cost that much more can it? For example, the 2Mb product - £325 + £500 activation fee.

I know a new line has to be installed on your premises but it doesn't cost BT that much to do does it?

Thanks for looking
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

SDSL prices

SDSL is aimed at the business market, and with most business products they tend to be a higher cost as expectations are higher from businesses than from home users.

It is also a limited availablility product so BT have to make a profit from very low sales. As such the costs per line are much higher than with ADSL. With ADSL there are millions of connections so as with most products, economy of scale means the per unit cost is much lower so the costs are as well.

In addition, because no actual voice calls are possible from an SDSL line (the whole line frequency range is used for broadband) there is no additional income stream from the voice side which also makes the overall cost higher.

As more and more exchanges are SDSL enabled and more lines are sold, the costs will decrease, just like they did with ADSL which started out with similar costs to what SDSL is now.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

SDSL prices

Thanks Peter, good answer.

My exchange is scheduled to be SDSL enabled in July, & I think many exchanges are due for upgrade this year. It remains to be seen what the prices will be like in a year or two's time.