cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL - When?

N/A

SDSL - When?

When can we expect commercial SDSL to be wide spread?
We're about to host our own webserver, and could do with symmetric connection or similar product
11 REPLIES
N/A

SDSL - When?

I would love to have an SDSL connection. EasyNet.net offer this service from £149 pm... I hope others follow this lead and that competition drives prices down!

See this link for more details... it is a starter for 10:

http://www.easynet.net/broadband/broadbandsolutions_content.asp?id=559
N/A

This may help!

Here are a few other sites that you may like to check out!

This article may be of interest to you…

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/32738.html

Also BT Wholesales article:

http://www.btplc.com/mediacentre/Archivenewsreleases/2003/nr0338.htm

BT provides further information and list of SDSL providers on the following website:

http://www.bt.com/broadband/

Go to the Getting Broadband section for more details and follow the Broadband Symmetric link.
N/A

??????????

Sorry, PC illiterate here. What is SDSL and what does it mean to the man in the street.

Cheers
Community Veteran

SDSL - When?

symmetric DSL, basically means you would have the same upload speed as your download speed for instance 2mb upstream and 2mb downstream as noted above suitable for running your own commerical webservers and other similar servers.

Chris
N/A

SDSL - When?

SDSL - Symmetrical Ditigal Subscriber Line.

Essentially it means that you get equal download and upload speeds. It is particularly important if you are the type of business that requires high quality upload speeds. It provides an affordable alternative to leased lines or other connections that offer similar attributes. Speeds tend to range from 256K to 2MB.

[Benefits of SDSL]
• SDSL is 25 times faster than dialup (with a 56k modem).
• Fast in both directions.
• Because SDSL is a dedicated line, it’s always on. There’s no dialing, no connection delays, and no busy signals.
• Your SDSL line is yours alone. No other business shares your line.
• Use multiple dial-up Internet accounts from the same location so that everyone in your office can use the same connection.
• Send or receive email with large attachments.
• Video conference or video stream is a cinch with SDSL.
• Businesses or Telecommuters using email to transfer files.
• Businesses using an Intranet or Extranet for communication between employees, customers, or suppliers.
• Businesses using E-Commerce Applications.
• Businesses designing a web presence.
• Telecommuters needing access to their corporate Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Intranet or Extranet.
• Technical staff needing access from home to corporate WAN, LAN, Intranet, or Extranet..

Hope this is not too techie!
N/A

SDSL - When?

albion.co.uk offer sdsl
Ianwild
Grafter

SDSL - When?

I guess the main issue is that it isn't available on many exchanges yet. Once BT sort the rollout and ensure the product is marketable (ie affordable) then it is something we will undoubtably offer ourselves.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

SDSL - When?

The rollout is quite slow for this and doesn't work the same way as ADSL, BT do plan on making this available on all exchanges with a largew amount of higher end business users over the next year or so - mainly city centres / large towns. I can't see SDSL ever reaching the masses, no doubt xDSL services will be superceded by then, but who knows.

Chris
N/A

SDSL - When?

The BT Wholesale SDSL checker is available online.

It is basic at this time, and doesn't give anywhere near as much information as there ADSL checker.
Community Veteran

SDSL - When?

Why don't you amagamate it into your new search tool Smiley

Chris
N/A

SDSL - When?

All part of the process.

There are some major differances between the output of the two. I wish they would create a universal checker based around the codebase for the SDSL checker, things would be much simpler.

Enough of off topicness.

I hope to have my own version of the checker out soon.

FYI chris - I make only the advanced functions protected on that one.