cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAR130 What do all the figures mean ?

N/A

I'm having a reliability problem with my Plusnet ADSL. Having read many posts here I wondered if I had been maxDSLed ? Had a look at the SAR130 home page and it shows a figure for down speed of 7904 kbps so I guessed this means I am on maxDSL now ?

However having reported problem to Plusnet I received a call from one of their support guys and he said I'm not on maxDSL ??

So my question is what does the 'Down Speed' mean on the SAR130 home page ??

Further I've been looking at the SNR figures under WAN, these vary from 10.0/6.0dB (local/remote SNR) on a good day to 6.0/21.0 when working badly !
what sort of figures should I be seeing ?

thanks all
Chris
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

To get your figures on the 130, go to Start in the bottom corner of your screen
Then Run
and type in telnet 192.168.7.1 (enter)
then login using DSL as user and password (that's in capitals)
then type get dsl params (enter)

will give you the attenuation and snr and also "downfast "and "upfast", which your down and up sync speeds

If your up speed is 448 (i.e. not 28Cool, then you are on Max and your target Local SNR is 6 (local = downstream, remote = up).
N/A

Thanks for the reply Geoff

Yes I get a figure of 448 so it seems I am on maxDSL but Plusnet did'nt seem to know that !

Well at least now I understand why its unreliable, it starts falling over at around the 6db local SNR figure.

Incidently Plusnet have informed that there is no problem their end and would I like them to pass the problem on to BT (at the risk of me having to fork out £46).

I have a second SAR130 on its way so will be able to confirm that there is no problem my end in a couple of days. Then I guess I'll have to have a play my end and try and improve the noise performance following other suggestions I've seen on this forum i.e. move router as near to BT socket as poss etc.

anyway thanks again Geoff at least now I know what I'm up against !

regards
Chris
N/A

I have an SAR 110 which I believe has some similarities. I have had periods of very hiogh errors which seem to have some relationship to time of day. Evenings are the worst. When i was "maxed" the line was unusable from 6pm until about 6am. It was nearlky perfect from 6am to 6pm when I was at work.

I had to get the SNR target figure raised to 12dB from 6dB. All was well until BT reverted the SNR to 6dB and the rrors returned. It has taken a lot of pleading to get the SNR figure set to 12dB again. I am now watching the behaviour with interest. The inital few days were compicated by secondary issues (router losing its time etc...)

The SAR110 contains a 24 hour history so it is possible to plot the rrors on a chart. I have been plotting the data daily foirabout three months now. the results 9some presented as an average) can be seen here
http://www.soroban.co.uk/routerstats/errors_maxdsl.htm

I could let you have the script that captures the data and the Excel macros (if you can have access to Excel) that plots the charts.
Alecto
Grafter

It may be worth trying a different router if you can borrow one.
I had a SAR130, then a Safecom/Origo one, which both seemed to work OK.
Then I changed to the Netgear DG834 and my SNR, Attenuation and line speed all improved.
It seems a lot more sensitive than some other routers, and my sync speed shot up by a third, still with no connection problems. It holds its sync even when reporting very low (or even no) SNR.
N/A

I have an SAR 110 which I believe has some similarities. I have had periods of very hiogh errors which seem to have some relationship to time of day. Evenings are the worst. When i was "maxed" the line was unusable from 6pm until about 6am. It was nearlky perfect from 6am to 6pm when I was at work.

I had an SAR 110 - it was fine 'till I was upgraded to a 2Mb connection then it just wouldn't connect. I even had BT out twice checking everything. Eventually, I went and bought a cheapo router down town out of sheer frustration.
I plugged it in and it worked perfectly right away.
I'd strongly recommend you at least try anothe router.

This is where the credibility of my post takes a nosedive. I have a Netgear 4 port router (this is not the cheapo router described above), which is less than a year old for sale as I am now using a BT Home Hub.
I can't remember the exact model number (they still sell it) as I'm at work. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the full name and spec tonight...

Regards

Martin