cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAR110 Router and ADSL Network Optimiser

N/A

I have successfully installed the Solwise SAR 110 router and everything is running like a dream Cheesy .

I have read alot about changing the MTU setting for ADSL modems / network interfaces to a value of 1458 to improve performance.

Do I need to run the ADSL Network Optimiser on my PC :?:

Do I need to modify the MTU on my router and if so how :?:

Any help from anyone on the 'whys' and / or 'why nots' would be great :?

Thanks in advance Wink ,
Andrew
3 REPLIES
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

All this does is to set the maximum packet size. If the data your application is sending is longer than this, TCP chops it up.

I would say do it. If it introduces problems then you can always back it out. Have a look here for the "how to" on your PC.

Whilst this may not be entirely relevant, there was an incedent a couple of years ago on my office network where packets were lost when communicating with certain sites. This turned out to be a problem where a router on the internet received a packet which was too long for it to handle. This router replied to our network with a valid "chop this up" message. The firewall, having identified that none of the internal hosts had established a session with this router, rejected the packet and logged an intrusion attempt. Shortening the packet length to one which the router (and others like it) could accept made the problem go away.

Regards Smiley
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

PS. Setting this in your router may eliminate the problem for all PCs on your network. "How to" depends on the router.
N/A

It shouldn't be a problem with an ADSL router, most modern equipment defaults to an MTU dependant on the type of interface connected. The ADSL router should fragment the packets for you and in terms of overhed it will be negligble.

If you have more than one computer connected to the ADSL router, and need to share files or communicate with each other setting the mtu on your ethernet interface will actually produce measurable degradation between the computers when transferring medium sized files.

Darren..