cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAR 110 and wireless network

N/A

Have just installed the above. Probably putting both in at once was too much ;-)

Results are confusing. Internet access worked immediately on both PCs, but:

* downloads tend to stall after maybe 1 MB, as does Internet access intermittently

* access to the MS Asheron's Call game fails on the start-up screen (possibly because a download stalls)

* I looked at MTUs and discovered along the way that I can often browse to a Web server that I cannot ping, which seems entirely the wrong way round

* I found that the (Belkin 802.11b) network access point was set for DHCP (the SAR is not) and the wrong IP range, but turning off DHCP and putting the NAP onto an IP address in my network's range made no actual difference to the above behaviour

Have not yet tried to get the internal PCs intercommunicating, as the main aim was Internet access, but they both produce the above effects.

I realise this is sketchy but could do with some pointers on where to look first.

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Not all sites return a ping.

Many overseas servers clock pings to prevent line saturation (DOS attacks), yet your can connect to the services provided perfectly normal.
N/A

No, this was sites that I should be able to ping.

Thanks anyway
N/A

Hi,

As you said, a little sketchy and I've been trying to get my head round your setup, which is not easy as I've not used wireless stuff very much.

Umm, the "stalling" sounds like a possible TCP buffer size problem, maybe? What's maybe happening is the router is splitting the outgoing packets because the packets from the PC are too long? It may also be possible for the reverse to be true depending on setup. Something may be getting it's knickers in a twist. You could try reducing the size of the TCP buffers on your PC. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head - but can look them up and send you some info if this seems a possibility. Also don't know how you change buffers sizes on a PC (except that I know you CAN). I have a Linux box in the way which handles TCP/IP and NAT rather well - perhaps better than PC Wireless LAN adapters?

That PING is odd. Can you ALWAYS ping the router?

Yell if still having probs. something else may pop into head. Good luck.
N/A

By packet size you mean as in MTU settings? As I mentioned, that was something I started to look at, but results are odd and inconsistent. The other night, reducing size gradually reached a point at which the DOS ping command simply hung. Then below that it worked again. Tonight, one ping from each set of four typically fails even at 1472, but there is no sign of ping hanging. I have set various MTU values but without impact on the basic problem that the connection seems to keep dropping and then recovering. I found an Asheron's Call port tester, and that passed with flying colours, so the original idea of ports seems to be completely ruled out.

Bit more on set-up; network access point is connected to SAR110. Two PCs have wireless network adaptors.

Regards
N/A

Umm, as I said, not too familiar with Wireless cards OR Windows tools.

If it was just browsing / downloads it'd be worth going as low as 1452 or maybe even 1412 just to see - but it's that PING that's weird. One thing I spotted when checking those numbers was a suggestion that it might be DUPLEX settings. My SAR 110 is connected to a standard (old) 10Mb card and so far things have always settled down and worked. I'm sure I read somewhere that this isn't always the case. It seems possible that the SAR 110 and the Access Point might not be able to settle their differences. Is there a way to force the Access Point to use half-duplex on the SAR110 side? Guessing, sorry.

Is there a way of switching on / examining any error logs anywhere along the way? Always useful when pinging / running traceroute etc. as you can see exactly when an interface has gone down and often get the problem to repeat.

Do the PC's talk ok? Can you browse shares, transfer files both ways?

Is there an Expert out there?
N/A

Generally quite confusing results.

I tried moving the router and connecting it to the main phone point. I also tried disconnecting all the phones. This seemed to improve things, although having no phones won't do as a permanent arrangement! At present I am still doing more tests to be sure whether it is having phones connected, or having calls happening, that is the problem - with the phones connected it is difficult to stop calls coming in during the tests ....

Certainly the problem when it occurs is a temporary, or occasionally permanent, connection failure, and this of course halts any downloads. Asheron's Call still doesn't work under any conditions, although I found a port tester for that game, and that says there is no problem with ports.

Hmm. Will get back when I have something more definite.
N/A

Completed a large download without problems when no calls came in, even though phones were connected. What am I supposed to do to be able to have calls and keep my connection up? Does it mean a problem with the handsets or with the extensions, or possibly both? Still need to fix Asheron's Call, too.

Thanks for the help to date.
N/A

Do you have microfilters on all of the phones? My internet disconnects when I receive a phone call - unless I put microfilters on all of the sockets.
Community Veteran

Disruption to the internet when a call comes in sounds very much like Splitter / Filter problems.
Can you borrow another Splitter / Filter from someone and see if it makes any difference? They have been known to be faulty in the past?
N/A

It now sound like you suspect the ADSL side is going down. The SAR 110 logs these events under "Alarm" on the admin tab. If you've set the routers clock (time and date) you should have a timed log to match against other testing. Also you can watch the state of the link under "PPP" on the WAN tab.
N/A

Now all working except ...

I was so stunned by the speed of these replies that I took a few days to recover, so sorry for slow response Wink

Your combined comments made me realise I needed a filter on all the phones and not just on the router and other phones on that socket. As I have two sockets on the main BT point and I was sent two filters with the router, I put everything there and all now seems fine.

Except ...

Asheron's Call 2 still won't start properly (hangs on the Update Progress bar on startup for those who know the game). The Asheron's Call port tester says all ports are open, so I am a bit stumped. I have tried posting to the relevant MS games newsgroup and will have to see what comes of that.

Thanks for the advice. Sorry if I was missing the obvious.
N/A

Can't help with Asheron's Call as I've never heard of it. If it's important maybe you could start a new thread.

** IMPORTANT ** have you changed the routers password? Otherwise it's open to outside tinkering.

Better still, set up a few IP Filter rules...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q1/sar_110.asp

Good luck.