cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a Webserver.

BenG
Grafter

Running a Webserver.

hi, for the last few days I been makeing some little websites in frontpage. I use PWS webserver.

the other day I was talking to some ppl on line that whould like to see my webdesigns, so I give them My IP, the problum is I do not really want to keep giveing My IP cos my router sometimes restarts and I lose the IP and get a new one. So the old IP a gave before will not work.

is there any way to stop this happening, I was speaking to someone and they said you can buy a static IP, but I not that much money at the moment is there anything else I can do.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Running a Webserver.

if you router allows it, you could always get a statoc hostname

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
BenG
Grafter

Running a Webserver.

I think it does I got a Netgear router DG384
and says something like Dynamic DNS and it got some info like username and password and hostname. I am asumeing if I setup an account with them and put in that info. will that mean I can just ppl the dynamic name instade of my IP

Thanks you for your fast comment as well. very greatfull.
Community Veteran

Running a Webserver.

The DG834 supports dyndns, which will update their servers every time your IP address changes.

To set this up follow the link above.

If you are planning on running webserver long term, then I would suggest that you look at changing to a package that has a Static IP address.

Chilly