Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running a FTP server - Blocked by PN???

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Hi all

Trying to run a ftp server on my pc but despite it working locally across my network, all incoming connections from the outside world are unsuccessful.

Are PN blocking outgoing servers now?

All advice appreciated!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
8 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

PN firewall?
Community Veteran

Yep looks like that is the problem!

You'd think they'd make it clear they've introduced this...

Thx for help!
holdtight
Grafter

You'd think they'd make it clear they've introduced this...

The plusnet firewall is set to off by default so you would have had to of enabled it if that is the problem

Bill.
Community Veteran

The plusnet firewall is set to off by default so you would have had to of enabled it if that is the problem

The defaults are;
OFF Premier
ON BB+

So my guess is that okrzynska is on BB+

There where forum announcements, and e-mails sent to all users*. So short of a snail mail, or an ad campaign on Channel 5, I am not sure what else PlusNet could have done.

Chilly

* Subject to the PlusNet mail servers working :roll:
BenG
Grafter

Not sure if thay have disabled it, but try turning the XP Firewall off I know from experince this blocks a lot of apps.

also if your using a Router with an inbuilt firewall you may need to setup rules to allow incomming and out comming connections.
oliverb
Grafter

FTP Server via a router

Assuming you are using a router...

FTP servers are a swine to configure as most ftp clients now default to passive mode and passive mode makes it easy for the client to operate through a router but fouls things up for the server.

In brief: When the client logs in it will try to access the ftp port (21) so this must be allowed and redirected to the server.

When a passive file transfer is attempted the server opens a second port somewhere above port 1023 and the client attempts to connect to it. The fact that the port isn't fixed makes it a pig to redirect, especially if you like "stealth mode" security and don't want to show about 500 ports.
Community Veteran

Hi all, thanks for the replys..

I'm on BB Plus and yes it was turned on when I checked it last night. I guess it's a new feature introduced recently as I've never had problems before running a ftp server until last night when I was really frustrated that nothing from the outside could connect..

Anyway, turned the PN firewall off now. No I don't use a router - I use ICS PC to connect my network (ICS host has 56k modem for backup ICS functionality plus it can be left running through the night for large downloads etc - much more usable than a router Wink ). XP's firewall is disabled on all my machines - It only blocks incoming and I like to control both directions Smiley

Anyway thanks for the help peeps
N/A

I have a router.
I turned off the Windows firewall and the Plusnet firewall.