Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Routers

Hi

Soon I'm buying a house, and getting adsl installed, but wont be living there for 18 months! I still need my connection at home in the mean time, so its time for a new router. I've currently got a Netgear DG834G, and have set up plenty of people on these.

I was thinking of taking this opertunity to take a step up in my own router of choice, so was just woundering what you guys could recommend to me.

Thanks

Phil
19 REPLIES
N/A

Routers

i would reccomend an smc router, i currently have the smc 7904wbra and it has been faultless. it's so easy to set up its unbelievable.

http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=20&products_id=807&osCsid=f9334fa8...

this is the newer version but from what i've heard its vurtually the same.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Routers

DG834G still does me fine, what's the reasons for changing? Any features/functionality you'd like to add that it doesn't do?
Superuser
Superuser

Routers

As I say, I need a new router for the new house, as I still need to use the current one where I am now. Was thinking of expanding my possibilities with maybe features like multicast, QOS, and I'm sure there are many many more things I could play with.

I'm a software engineer and love to try things out. I'm playing around with VOIP at the moment, and am installing asterisk on a box at the side of me as I type.

If the advice is stick with the DG834G then thats fine, just thought I'd see what people could suggest.

Thanks

Phil
Superuser
Superuser

Routers

Thanks denham19. I'll have a read of that in a bit.

Phil
Isitme
Grafter

Routers

If you will not be moving into the new house for 18 months, you would be well advised to wait. There will be many advances in that time which you will not get the advantage of if you buy now.
Superuser
Superuser

Routers

I need adsl in there in a couple of months time. I need to buy another connection and router, its just which one to go for.

Phil
Community Veteran

Routers

I have been in a similar situation, wanting/needing a new router, but undecided as to which model.

I had narrowed the choice to a Netgear DG834G, or a Draytek Vigor.

My head/wallet wanted the Netgear, but my heart was set on the Draytek for advance features like you pointed to.

But when the old one when bang, and I needed the replacement quick, it was the Netgear that PCWorld had on the shelf, and at a third of the cost of the Draytek I can always update at a later date.

If you do not intend to use the advanced features for 18 months, then personally I would go with the cheaper Netgear.

In 18 months time then advanced routers may have fallen in prices, but features will have moved on.

Chilly
BenG
Grafter

Routers

If you want a very good router and are willing to pay a little more than I go with a Cisco one.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/ps4873/index.html

Or you can try the Netgear WGR614, my friend has got this one, and he said he had no problums always works and never disconnects, I know the lower netgear routers had a problums with disconnects. I have a DG384 as well, and it has always been good for me to.
sam
Grafter

Routers

Hi all,

I have had my Netgear for over 2 years and I cannot reccomend them enough, I have even set my grandparents up with a Netgear router. Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Routers

Don't think you'll get much better than a Cisco, but obviously at a price. Not used the Draytek, but I've heard good things about them.
Community Veteran

Routers

...and not so good.

If you do consider the Draytek, then take a look on their forums;
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/

For the cost, I was put off by some of the minor issues they suffer from.
Things like faults in their SNMP support.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Routers

Don't think you'll get much better than a Cisco, but obviously at a price

I hope their products are vastly different to the ones they produce under their (child company?) Linksys.

Used to have a WAG54G, worst router I've had. Frequently needed a reboot to regain connectivity to the internet. PC's couldn't connect to the wireless network (they would detect the network but hang when trying to get an IP address from its DHCP). Tried everything to fix that and eventually the only thing which worked was to do a factory reset and re-enter the settings.

Oh and it also developed a knack of losing all saved firmware settings after a week or so - so of course it not having a ADSL username and password stored meant no internet and you had to enter all the settings back in. Doesn't sound like a big deal I know, but was a PITA when it happened to my parents and someone else I know (who had the same router) numerous times and I had to go round there since they don't know much about setting up routers.

Sounds like buggy firmware I know - I am sure I tried updating it at the time and it made no difference.

I am currently using a Thompson SpeedTouch 585 and so far it is brilliant. Never requires a reboot and keeps connectivity. Not sure about what it is like sync and stats wise since I don't pay much attention to them, as long as the internet works at approximately the speed I expect then its fine by me Cheesy

Replaced my parents Linksys router with the same model and have had no problems there either.

Only other models I have used were the ones supplied by PlusNet when I signed up. That was years ago now - I remember the old 3Com one back in late 2002. That would just have a random habit of just not syncing at all, and I believe was so bad that PlusNet replaced them all with Solwise routers after a few months.

The Solwise one wasn't too bad, just a bit of a mission to set up.
Anyway enough of the history lesson!

Can't comment on any other make/model as I don't have experience with them.
pacem
Grafter

Routers

My Billion router does all the things you asked for and I've had it for 3 years now. Check out their website for the latest: www.billion.com.au

I've not looked at prices recently but I'm sure they're competetive with the NetFear kit in price and the features are way better.

Paul.<><
N/A

Routers

Ive setup a few different makes of router in my work and I'd say, from the experiences I've had, avoid Linksys and Belkin. The one I use myself and have set up for people with success many many times is the Netgear DG834G or variants of. Lovely router thats very easy to configure, though for most uses doesnt need any complex settings changed.