Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

chrisco
Grafter

Routers

Hi All,

I have just the one PC & I have been thinking about changing my Voyager 105 modem for either a Voyager 205 or Netgear DG834, mainly because I want replace my software firewall (Have Zone Alarm & I'm fed up with it hogging lion's share of my resources )
My questions are these:

1. Which out of the 2 routers do you recommend.

2. As I'm not going to change the set up , will I be able to keep the microfilters I already have in place (one is in a bit of an inaccessible place behind a heavy wall unit & although not an impossible task would like to avoid having to ask husband to move it!)

3. Will it be as memory hungry as asoftware firewall - I have 1GB RAM.

Would really appreciate some advice from you folks.

Regards, Chris Cole
23 REPLIES
N/A

Routers

I would go for the netgear my self.

You dont need to change any filter but you will get some free with the router.

The router doesnt have anything installed on your pc at all so it reduces overheads and the firewall and NAT are all done on the router with its own CPU so its a lot better.
In very simple terms the best of a router is with a modem your front door is live on the internet and everyone can try and break in. With a router the router becomes the front door and no one can see your actual front door until they break in past the router
jabb0
Grafter

Routers

Im am using the netgear router - i can vouch for it - it has kept me happy
N/A

Routers

Hi

1. Personally I too would recommend the Netgear, I use one and find it easy to set up and use.

2. Yes you still need all the exsisting filters with a router.

3. Although a router has its own hardware firewall, it is recommended to run a software firewall as well as a good anti virus program.

Also a router has its own power supply so is completely independent from your computer.
Community Veteran

Routers

1) The netgear is far superior to the voyager 205 and is what I recommend you go for. It also has a full SPI hardware fiorewall whereas I think the voyager 205 just has a NAT firewall. The SPI firewall is must easier to configure.

2) Yes you can use your existing microfilters with any new router / ADSL modem.

3) Both devices can connect via a network cable rather than USB that the voyager 105 uses which is a far better way to connect to the network. I does mean you need a network port on your existing PC. If not, you wll need to buy a PCI network card for £5.

Both devices are completely independant of your PC so will not need any drivers (like the USB modem does) apart from the network card/port drivers which you should have no problems with.

As for your problems with ZA, I have been using it for years without any problems. I do recommend having a software firewall in addition to any hardware firewalls in routers as the router only blocks incoming hack attempts so if you got infected, the hardware firewall would not stop the virus trying to find another host. or stop your system being used for a DDos attack on another PC/server.
lingbob
Grafter

Routers

As for your problems with ZA, I have been using it for years without any problems. I do recommend having a software firewall in addition to any hardware firewalls in routers as the router only blocks incoming hack attempts so if you got infected, the hardware firewall would not stop the virus trying to find another host. or stop your system being used for a DDos attack on another PC/server.

I agree entirely with what you say but since changing over from a Voyager 105 USB modem to a Netgear DG834 router, I've been having problems. I've discovered that if I disable ZA, all the problems disappear but once I enable it again, the problems are back. Perhaps I don't have the router configured correctly or maybe I don't have ZA configured correctly. I've been searching for a definitive guide as to how to run ZA and a router firewall in tandem but I haven't found one yet. Maybe someone in here has a few pointers?

Martin
N/A

Routers

I have never liked zonealarm, on my old computer with Windows 98SE it slowed it down to a crawl, in fact it was that painful I eventually uninstalled it.

I changed to a good AV program with a software firewall, running this with a Netgear DG834 and have had no problems on either the old or this computer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Routers

I assume you've tried these forums for guidance
http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs
http://castlecops.com/f23-Zone_Alarm.html
lingbob
Grafter

Routers

Yes, I've been looking through the ZoneLabs forums and I found the solution to my problems very quickly, thanks.

Martin
chrisco
Grafter

Routers

petervaughan wrote:
3) Both devices can connect via a network cable rather than USB that the voyager 105 uses which is a far better way to connect to the network. I does mean you need a network port on your existing PC. If not, you wll need to buy a PCI network card for £5.
Can you tell me how I would know if I have a network port, I think I have, does it look like phone input socket ?
I actually don't want to connect another machine to it but is that the way it has to be connected or could I use a USB, could you perhaps be a bit more specific on this as I have never seen what the connections for a router like.
Sorry if I appear thick!! Shockedops:

Regards, Chris Cole

PS By the way I'm not getting confused with an internal modem connection as I don't have one.
N/A

Routers

Hi there,

Yes your network card will have a port similar to a Phone socket but a tad bigger. There may be one or two led beside the port, but not always.

It may look like this
Community Veteran

Routers

The DG834 can only be connected via a network cable, the voyager 205 can connect using network or USB.

The network socket you plug a network cable into should look similar to this:

It is similar to the socket on the back of your current router that you connect your phone cable into, only slightly bigger.
N/A

Routers

Soz, I thought he was talking about the connection on the back of his PC Peter.

Sorry if I have confused the issue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Routers

Mark,
That was also my understanding. If we are correct then another option could be that a network port is included on the motherboard. Would it be possible to use the XP control panel /system/hardware/device manager to check what network ports are available.
chrisco
Grafter

Routers

@pcsni her pc actually Mark Wink No worries, I'm used to the gender mix up problem!! Yes I do mean the connection at the back of the tower & I do have that - at least my logic tells me (There's a little pic of 2 computers linked) so, could you confirm. I have a Compaq d330 micro tower.

Regards ChrisTINE Cole :lol: