cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers v ADSL Modems

N/A

Routers v ADSL Modems

I am at the end of the line and can only get a half meg service and this often fails to lock on or drops out. My neighbour has the same problem.
Would a router be more sensitive/robust?
Are some ADSL filters better than others?

June 06 - Thanks for all your advice: I have not bought a Router yet but find the ADSL NATION Filter helps and my Cordless Phone no longer causes my line to drop when I walk near my computer.

I noticed some crackling on my line at times when my Broadband is dropping out.

Reported this via BTs 151 automated fault reporting service. They perform a line test and report "No Fault Found".
This test must reset the line or something because the crackling and line drops is then fixed - till the next time, when I report it again and get another fix. :lol:
3 REPLIES
N/A

Routers v ADSL Modems

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, a router will always be more roubust and stable than a USB modem, especially if you use one of the better known makes. Netgear, Linksys and D-Link are good examples.

With regard to filters, yes most definately. Some of the products mentioned in ADSL Nation, whilst appearing expensive, can go a long way towards improving the quality of connections.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Routers v ADSL Modems

Hi Barry,

Also, if you are using an extention cable from a remote BT phone outlet then make sure it is a good quality one.

Bill.
N/A

Routers v ADSL Modems

If you have a poor line avoid netgear, they are very prone to drop out. I have replaced one and given up with the second. The reports on ADSL website also say that linksys are prone to drop out. I have just purchased a SMC7904 wireless ADSL router and it was very easy to install and so far as performed very well (allthough I haven't it the Sunday traffic yet).

Cheesy

Steve