cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers and Idle Time-outs

TheChallenger
Grafter

"- Introduction of 'idle time-outs' for Broadband Plus and ADSL Home Surf customers. This means that we will disconnect any sessions that are inactive for a period of thirty minutes. As long as your connection is in active use, you will not be disconnected. If you are disconnected you will be able to reconnect straight away."

PlusNet - this is not acceptable. I have been a long standing plusnet customer, (since Sep 2000) and upon your recommendation installed a Solwise SAR 130 router as soon as I could get broadband.

If you implement this then I'll have to reboot my router almost every time I come back to my machine this is crazy and unaccaptable. And will mean that I will have no option other than to change provider.
GB
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Routers and Idle Time-outs

... upon your recommendation installed a Solwise SAR 130 router as soon as I could get broadband.

If you implement this then I'll have to reboot my router almost every time I come back to my machine

Why would you? Most routers will automatically reconnect after the idle timeout has occured when you next need to use the internet, if configured properly. The idle disconnect just logs you off PlusNet but does not disconnect you from the exchange.

Does you router have an idle disconnect setting? if so try enabling it, turn off all backgrond and forground apps that may want to use the internet (email client. MSN messanger etc), bring up a browser web page, wait longer than the timeout for it to disconnect then refreash your browser. If the page refreshes you don't have a problem with idle disconnects.

Failing that just leave your mail client running checking for email every 10 minues and the connection will never be idle.

You (and many others) really are making too much out of this.

Note: all the above has been explained many times in several threads already. I suggest you have a read of them to get a better ubnderstanding of what idle disconnect is.
TheChallenger
Grafter

You (and many others) really are making too much out of this.

Oh so rather than a polite, sorry user you have misunderstood, it's my fault is it? (along with everyone else that is currently suffering from the plusnet misinformation system) Seems to me that a change from the hailed 'always on' claims of broadband providers is pretty significant.

Does you router have an idle disconnect setting?

Hey, that's why I included the details (Solwise SAR 130) in my post, the manual doesn't elicit how this works at all. (and I don't have all day to search through a million and one posts to find resolution to a potential problem generated by your communication) - give me some help here (it's called support after all)

A number of people in customer support roles have found this book to be of great help to them in communicating with their customers and consequently it has accelerated their careers: 'How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie'.

Rule 1 - The customer is always right (even when he's wrong!)
Rule 2 - Never tell them they're wrong, (it 'really' annoys them) just steer them to a simple reference that will educate them a different way. Such as : Dear Mr Customer, I am sorry to hear that you are concerned over the changes to our t's and c's. A number of our customers have also expressed concern, however when they have understood the full details of how this works, then they have realised that this actually improves the service to them. The full reasons, technical workarounds and implications to you can be found here ...... if this doesn't help you, then please come straight back to us and we will do our best to help us.

So please:
1) a) Where can I find out how my router copes with this,
b)what are the settings I need to change (specifically)
c) What are the implications of setting the idle timeout to 0 (Zero)?
2) What are the implication on IP addresses (I currently have a static one allocated)
and
3) How does it work (as a service)?

Thanks
GB
N/A

petervaughan, you come accross to strong. and not just in this topic.
N/A

Rule 1 - The customer is always right (even when he's wrong!)
Rule 2 - Never tell them they're wrong, (it 'really' annoys them) just steer them to a simple reference that will educate them a different way. Such as : Dear Mr Customer, I am sorry to hear that you are concerned over the changes to our t's and c's. A number of our customers have also expressed concern, however when they have understood the full details of how this works, then they have realised that this actually improves the service to them. The full reasons, technical workarounds and implications to you can be found here ...... if this doesn't help you, then please come straight back to us and we will do our best to help us.

Damn right! Finally someone who agrees with me.
hitachi
Grafter

But Peter does not work for Plusnet therefore you are not his customer, so if he thinks you are wrong why not say so.
Community Veteran

:mrgreen: