cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router will not 'hold' connection

N/A

BACKGROUND:
I've purchased a Conexant 4 port router (front reads PTI PAE-CE84)

Ive hard reset the router and entered every setting as per the link below

http://www.cazart.plus.com/conexant/

I know the link refers to a 1 port router but almost all the settings look the same on screen. (plus my own login details of course)

PROBLEM:
The router appears to have made connection but keeps dropping out
(I hear a click from the router and the ADSL light goes out intermittantly)

Any ideas anyone ?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you followed the troubleshooting guide on the Customer support page?

Have you checked you have it wired correctly and are using the filter/splitters on all your phones and the ADSL modem correctly. See the wiring tutorial in the tutorials & FAQs forum. Also in there read the ADSL troubleshooting tutorial.

Have you checked you are using the correct login and password. For ADSL it is yourname@plusdsl.net and your default password. Details can be found via the Connection settings link on the left then click on connection details.

Have you actually been activated yet - i.e. have you had an email from PlusNet confirming this. If not, you may not be active yet so the modem will not sync.
N/A

Apols for any confusion

I have an existing account and connect happily (via filters, Cat 5 cable etc etc) on a Solwise Router

I'm just trying to get this 4 port router to work

All login names etc are correct

The Router did however, come with what looked like a modem cable (BT phone plug at one end) I have substituted this with the cable from the Solwise that goes to the router and is known to be ok

I did ask someone who said the Conexant has a built in filter ? but I'm not so sure of this

Thanks
Community Veteran

Have you tried with the cable that came with the router - you don't have to connect it via a filter/splitter and if it has a BT plug on the end then you must plug it directly into a wallsocket and not via a filter - i.e. if you did you would be connecting the router via the filtered side of the splitter and it won't sync.

That's cable is not very convenient unless the router has a phone socket at the back to plug in a normal phone.
N/A

~Agreed

Ive tried, direct to BT socket
Ive tried via a filter
Ive tried a different cable
all to no avail
Faulty router maybe ?
Community Veteran

Can you change your avatar please 80x80 pixels and 10k is what is allowed here - it makes reading posts very difficult. Thanks.
Community Veteran

I know you said you setup the router via a doc that refered to the 4 port version but have you tried resetting to factory defaults and just entering enough details to connect to PlusNet in case a setting on the 4 port is different on the 1 port. In theory just login/pass and mabe config of the Wan port.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

think your router has simmilar settings to my own router, so in the PPP options check that the disconnect timeout is set to 0
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Yes, set to Zero

I have taken screen shots of all settings (except the Fixed IP part)

http://www.naldernet.plus.com/photogallery/

Can someone take a look and give any clues ?
:?

Thanks

Mark
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

are there any errors in the system log? as the router isnt reporting a sync'ed speed with the exchange. As In the WAN pic it should read

Data Rate - 576 - 288
latency - Fast - Fast

So looks like its not syncing with the exchange for some reason.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

What you have is one of the generic Conexant modem routers. Despite some being manufactured by complete unknowns, they generally work well. There are no input filters fitted inside the modem.
There should be a indicator light for power, DSL and Data. If the DSL light is lit, you have sync with the exchange. If not, that is where the problem lies.
Data light flashes with traffic.

Beware of using cables other than supplied with the modem, as not everyone wires the RJ11 socket correctly.

After a reset to factory default, input the info needed to get the modem to connect, which is : - your username, password and static IP , VPI=0
VCI=38, Data link encapsulation = PPPoA over ATM (RFC2364) VCMUX
PPP Properties = VC multiplexed. All these are put into the WAN configuration part.
This type of modem has a relay which clicks as it auto senses the modulation type (Gmt lite etc). Once the clicks have finished, the modem should be connected. If so, your IP will be shown in the WAN status and the word "SHOWTIME". If your IP is not shown, you have not connected.

I notice from your pictures that there is no SNR or Line attentuation figure. These are shown regardless of a connection or not. They are only blank if you cannot sync with the exchange.

It is posible that this modem has a problem with your line. What Noise and attenuation figures did you get with the Solwise ?Huh
N/A

have added a screenshot of the router when it connects albit for a few seconds
to the list of jpegs. the 576-288 FastFast quoted in an above post does occur and the 'click' from the relay can be heard. The Ready light flashes as per the manual the ASDL light stays on only till the connection drops, even in diagnostics the router will PASS the ADSL connection if I catch it in time.

Am unsure where the speed readings are one hte solwise, but it connects without fail and remains so in about 15 seconds.

Have tried 2 different RJ11's on the Conexant, one that was supplied with it has a normal BT phone socket and so goes straight to the wall without filter, the other (from the solwise) goes through a filter, both result in the same problem so I guess I can exclude these.

Having reset the conexant, and entered just the basics (as listed by Civic Type R) I'm unsure if this would work as I have not told the router of the DNS numbers to connect to PlusNet
XP only has the routers IP for this relying on the reouter to patch me through

I guess I'm back to square one, not getting anywhere
Any more ideas please ?

Thanks for all assistance by the way

Mark
N/A

Not related to the connection issue, but you can have "obtain IP auto" set in your TCP settings, the router will supply the IP address by DHCP.
My oversight on the lack of DNS servers, but this will not stop your connection, only the webpages you visit once online. Anyway, DNS settings in the router (my old one anyway) also had an "obtain automatically" setting.

On the connection, there appears to be nothing wrong with the SNR and attenuation figures, actually they're pretty damn good and you must be close to the exchange.
When the connection is lost, do you also loose the "showtime" and SNR/Attenuation figures Huh
If so, this is an indication that sync with the exchange is being lost. With your good SNR/Attenuation figures, it points to a crap modem or power supply to the modem (may be low on supply voltage - USR modems suffer from this by using cheap chinese power supplies)