cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router that does not give me my line stats

N/A

I have a router that does not give me my line stats with regard to my noise levels, does anyone know of a program like dr speetouch that will work with routers so I can see what my line stats are.
8 REPLIES
N/A

You could help us out abit by actually putting the name and model number of your router in your post....
N/A

The Router im useing is a eTEC XG-6050 I have been onto there tec pepole but all I get from them is it is not shiped with the needed software/firmware to tell me my line stats.
Alecto
Grafter

The stats must either come from your router, or from the other end of the line by Pn doing a Woosh test - which is a diagnostic procedure for faults rather than a routine thing they run for people.

If you can't find a firmware upgrade to do it using google, and the tech people won't help, then there's not much you can do. No piece of software you can run will tell you. And I assume that there's no mention of the stats in the user manual.
N/A

Is there any mention within the management web pages of SNMP? If you can set a Device Name and a Get and Set Community name for SNMP within the setup then you might be able to see these stats, just as I can see them in my LinkSys.
N/A

Is there any mention within the management web pages of SNMP? If you can set a Device Name and a Get and Set Community name for SNMP within the setup then you might be able to see these stats, just as I can see them in my LinkSys.

OK you have totale lost me here, what is SNMP & do you mean plusnets web pages?
N/A

Very short and brief explaination of snmp:-

SNMP = Simple Network Management Protocol. It is a method for configuring and monitoring networks by three simple commands (in V1 before some pedantic sod corrects me):- Get, Get-Next and Set.

The Management station uses Get and Get-Next to request variables from the managed agent and uses Set to configure variables on the managed agent.

Traps can be generated by the managed agent which will alert the management station to an event which needs dealing with (for instance, cold start indicates a device has just been powered back on etc).

This is secured (loose use of the term secure I know) in v1 by community strings - effectively a password - of which there are two: a 'read' community string and a 'write' community string. By default alot of the time these are 'public' and 'private'.

SNMP uses something called a management information base (MIB) to specify the structure of data and the naming convention on the device. Several standard MIB's exist as well as a large number of vendor specific MIB's. In order to use SNMP fully you need the MIB's for your device.

===

The management web pages refered to in your post refers to the management web pages of your router assuming it is managed via a web interface...
N/A

thanks for your help but I cant fond anything like that in my router pages, but my friend next door has offered to lend me his modem so I can get my line stats from that.
I think next time I buy a new router it will be one of the questions I ask "will it show my line stats" Cheesy
N/A

Your friends modem will give you a rough idea but as each router (even the same model) will give slightly different stats it will only be a rough order of magnitude measure... and depending on the quality of the components inside the box rough could be very rough...