cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router slow & USB Fast - doesn't make sense - Help!

N/A

Hi

Firstly I'm on a 1mb service with plusnet.

I have recently been having issues with my router which has now been replaced. Whilst the router was away being replaced a good friend of mine lent me a BT Voyager 105 USB modem.

When I did a speed check to make sure all was ok on the USB modem it showed slower times on the Speed Test on the plus net site. They ranged between 826 and 891.6 whereas I was getting 940 and above on the old router. I put this down to the fact that it was USB connected perhaps?

Anyway this is the bizzare thing. Though the USB was slower on the Plus speed test it was miles faster on FTP etc... Times when I was getting only 10 - 20kps on the router, I was getting 60 - 80kps. Others where I was getting 40 - 50kps with the router were coming down at 100+kps.

Anyway, I put it down to the fact that the orginal router was probably faulty from day 1.

Anyway the new router came the other day, and after a couple teething issues it is up and running. I have just done a speed test on plus and you can see how much better the speed is over the USB -

03-12-2004 19:01:25 944.4 - New router
24-11-2004 17:30:59 891.6 - USB
24-11-2004 17:30:36 826 - USB

HOWEVER Guess what? Went to download some files yesterday. Files downloaded at 10 - 20kps. Switched the router off, USB on and the files came down at 60 - 80 kps. Repeated this a number of times and the same happened each and every time.

I started thinking why did I buy one of these crappy routers when I could have had one of these USB connected boxes for next to nothing!

Anyway, you are bound to ask -

Yes - My router is running the latest firmware
Yes - My Ethernet driver is bang up-to-date
Yes - I have tried alternative cables etc...

Also BT checked my line the other week and I think the engineer was envious of how good the line is, so I don't think it is anything to do with the actual line.

Can anyone help me or should I just bin the router and get a USB modem like the BT one?

Sorry this has been so long....

Cheers
Chris
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Chris,

Strange.

Can you ell us a bit about your router. Make, model etc.

Does it have a firewall?

Mark
N/A

Hi Mark,

Yes apologies, it is a Solwise SAR130.

Not certain the firewall is switched on. I'll take a at the manual then logon to the router and check. Do you think that if a firewall is running it is slowing the data flow because it has to be checked each way?

For info I am running the Zone Labs firewall on the PC (in case this has any relavance)?

Many thanks for now. I'll get back once I've checked it out....

Cheers
N/A

Hi Mark

Looks like its turned off. The settings are -

Firewall Global Configuration
Blacklist Status: Disable
Blacklist Period(min): 10
Attack Protection: Disable
DOS Protection: Disable
Max Half open TCP Conn.: 25
Max ICMP Conn.: 25
Max Single Host Conn.: 75
Log Destination: Trace

Cheers

Chris
N/A

Hi Chris,

I have to admit that I'm a bit confused by this one.

Could the router be using different DNS settings. I know some leave the factory with say connexant dns servers set as default Huh??

If the USB settings are still on the system when you are using the router is your os getting confused?

I'm going to do a bit of homework on this and get back to you.

In the meantime there are many knowledgeable guys and girls on these forums who may chip in with some advice.

regards

Mark
N/A

Cheers Mark,

I'm currently surfing the net for similar issues, but none match this so far.

I've even tried removing the USB (uninstalling it) , but as I say the old router was slow too and that's before the USB had ever been installed.

Cheers

Chris
Gel
Pro
Fixes: 10