cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendations

N/A

Router recommendations

Hi,
I’ve just signed up for PlusNet ADSL. When I get connected I’m planning to use a combined modem/router such as the Netgear DG814. Have you any comments on using this router, or recommendations for similar devices? The main considerations I have are it must have at least 4 ports and it must allow me to connect to my employer’s VPN. Anybody have experience of connecting to VPNs using the DG814?
TIA
Cheers!
David
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router recommendations

> Hi,
> I’ve just signed up for PlusNet ADSL. When I get connected I’m planning to use a combined modem/router such as the Netgear DG814. Have you any comments on using this router, or recommendations for similar devices? The main considerations I have are it must have at least 4 ports and it must allow me to connect to my employer’s VPN. Anybody have experience of connecting to VPNs using the DG814?
> TIA
> Cheers!
> David
>
Hi David,

I'd hold off making a decision for a week or two if you can - at least until the whole BT / Alcatel exchange DSLAM upgrade cock-up has been sorted out.

Several of the most popular routers (including the DG814 & the solwise) seem to have issues with the new Alcatel ADSL equipment installed at the exchanges. I understand BT now has a fix for this, but not sure how quickly it will be rolled out.

I just bought a DG814 when I got connected with PlusNet about 10 days ago. I went with the NetGear as I have bought a lot of their stuff in the past and have had very few problems with it. Very easy to setup (I had it up and running within 30mins) and the built in 100MBps switch is a nice-to-have. Don't know about the VPN setup, but the router seems pretty configurable via an easy to use web interface. It also comes with a 3 year warranty.

I have also been impressed by the support offered by Solwise (www.solwise.co.uk) for their ADSL router during the BT exchange upgrade problems. Solwise were very pro-active about sorting out the connection issues people were having with BT - a good sign IMHO.

Sadly my PlusNet ADSL connection has been out of action for 5 days now :-(, but I think that looks to be a problem at the BT / PlusNet end rather than a problem with the NetGear.

Happy router hunting - definitely the way to go on the ADSL front - my in game pings have come down also compared to my old BT Openwound connection with the USB Alcatel "frog" modem.

Cheers,

Chris
N/A

Hi,
I’ve recently signed up with PlusNet ADSL and am using the NetGear DG814 - works well and PlusNet were very efficient, making the process easy and I can recommend them and the NetGeat router.
Ralph
BoneMan
Grafter

BC,
Might want to look at the AMX CA-64E (from DABS or ADSLNation). Cheaper than the DG614 but check *very carefully* on VPN stuff. (AMX works great for me - but I don't use VPN.) Also have a look on www.adslguide.org.uk for lots of stuff on various routers.

BoneMan
N/A

> Hi,
> I’ve just signed up for PlusNet ADSL. When I get connected I’m planning to use a combined modem/router such as the Netgear DG814. Have you any comments on using this router, or recommendations for similar devices? The main considerations I have are it must have at least 4 ports and it must allow me to connect to my employer’s VPN. Anybody have experience of connecting to VPNs using the DG814?

I use a DLINK 504, which has 4 ports and connects without problem to my employer's VPN.
You do need to contact the retailer and determine if the router you intend to purchase will work with the VPN. I had to drop my initial decision to purchase a router after the retailer confirmed that it would not work with a MS VPN.
If the retailer does not know the answer, then I suggest you shop elsewehere. I would certainly suggest that when you place the order you state specifically that you wish to use the router to connect to a VPN; because you then should be able to return the device if it does not work as it is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.
N/A

> Hi,
> TIA
> Cheers!
> David
>
I bought a DG814 about 6 weeks ago, but sadly it is faulty! However, Netgear have offered to send me a new one before collecting the old; their customer service is pretty good by industry stadards! Very easy to use...sorry don't know about the VPN stuff.

Andy