cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendation ?

N/A

Router recommendation ?

Hi

I am looking for recommendations for a router (wired or wireless) that performs well and is not choked whilst doing P2P. I would also like the ability to disable/bypass its firewall capabilities if necessary.

Thanks

Andy. Cheesy
10 REPLIES
N/A

Router recommendation ?

Lot of folks who post in these forums use a Netgear DG843G. This does everything you need it to, and there is a good knowledgebase right here if you need advice.
I certainly have had no problems with it in the past year or so. *touches wood*
Community Veteran

Router recommendation ?

The other one that I have used lately for some new setups is the latest D-link one. The 504T.
It seems to work pretty well and will sync to an ADSL signal which is far in excess of the line limits for it.
i.e. a 2mb line with a loss of 59dB (limit 43dB) where the earlier 504 ,and the BT engineers modem couldn't even see the signal Smiley
N/A

Router recommendation ?

Lot of folks who post in these forums use a Netgear DG843G. This does everything you need it to, and there is a good knowledgebase right here if you need advice.
I certainly have had no problems with it in the past year or so. *touches wood*

There are a LOT of people on the 'net with problems with the DG834G and P2P - I was one of them. Just do a search on Google. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody after the problems I had!

I now have the US Robotics SureConnect 9106 - it worked straight away and you can find recommendations for it on the different P2P homepages - the first link that appeared in Google was: http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showtopic=39030

It might be that some people managed to make their DG834G stable by disabling the wireless access - but that's not an option for me. I wanted a wireless router for a reason - and I've had no problems at all with my 9106.
N/A

Router recommendation ?

just on a side note, linksys just released the first ADSL router with a gigabit fiber port on it for the home, price about 100 quid, complete with a 4 port gigabit switch. Looks like it could be a winner (it takes standard phon in as well for the WAN side)
craigbrass
Grafter

Router recommendation ?

If you set the router up properly (as in set up the firewall rules), it works 100% fine "thejungle". *winks*
N/A

Router recommendation ?

If you set the router up properly (as in set up the firewall rules), it works 100% fine "thejungle". *winks*

No, it crashes - and crashes on a regular basis. I'm no fool and my JOB is entirely based around working with networks and networking - I'd be a bit crap if I didn't set up the firewall rules!

The firewall has got NOTHING to do with it, the fact is that the Netgear DG834G can only handle around 100 simulataneous connections without crashing. In the end I got Netgear to admit that they'd had many reports of the same problem and managed to get them to refund my money (the online store I'd bought it from wanted nothing to do with it!).

But just because YOU have had no problems, there's a large number of people who HAVE. Look: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-39,GGLD:en&q=dg834g+cras...

An incorrectly set up firewall should NEVER cause the router to crash, though yes - it would affect P2P speeds (which I'm guessing is what you assumed) given other machines on the Internet wouldn't be able to connect to mine - and so I'd have to establish the connection. But it's pure lunacy on your half to think that I hadn't set up the firewall settings and port forwarding on the DG834G but somehow managed to do it by magic on the USR 9106.

The DG834G has had major problems (the Google results speak for themselves) - they possibly have solved them with the new beta firmware (last version I tried was 1.5), but the problems that I had mean I could NEVER advise anybody to use the DG834G. It DOES have a nice web interface to set it up, but when that's at the cost of stability... I know which I'd take.

Remember: I said stable. I never mentioned poor P2P speeds... and I object to somebody thinking I'm stupid without reading my whole post. *winks*

Anyway, I can't believe that anybody would recommend the DG834G when someone wants to use it for P2P... Seriously, look around the web - you'll find there's a hell of a lot of people who have problems with it. Sadly, there must be people who DON'T have problems either - but it's a big risk to take.

I can recommend the Draytek Vigor series, the SMC Barricade or the USR 9106 (which I'm using) for rock solid P2P performance.

Take a look here for a general list of good routers: http://forum.emule-project.net/index.php?showtopic=33645

I used this originally to choose the DG834G, only searching for problems with it after I owned it and had them for myself... Sad But anyway, it should help you make up your mind.
madswitcher
Grafter

Router recommendation ?

I would second the use of the Draytek - I have two of them and found them very reliable.

Mike
N/A

Router recommendation ?

Hm, my DG834 has no problems with crashing etc - the only problem it does have is the unsupported SNMP daemon doesn't work.

The biggest problem is knobbling the firewall - it has some predefined rules which are awkward to get rid of - and as it is based on iptables deleting all of them will turn of forwarding and nat etc.
N/A

Router recommendation ?

Hm, my DG834 has no problems with crashing etc - the only problem it does have is the unsupported SNMP daemon doesn't work.

The biggest problem is knobbling the firewall - it has some predefined rules which are awkward to get rid of - and as it is based on iptables deleting all of them will turn of forwarding and nat etc.

As I say, some (maybe most?) people must have the DG834G working with P2P - but I could make mine crash just by loading eMule... And I wasn't alone. Tried everything, different firmware versions, hardware resets - everything... But no joy.

It was solid when I wasn't doing any P2P though, but since one of the large advantages for me IS P2P... the router was no good. Sad
N/A

I have a DG834

Running firmware 2.10.22 and all seems to be okay for web/email and P2P. It has never been rebooted in the last three months since I have had it. I am only using as a modem/firewall. The Netgear is connected to a Linksys WRT54G (I had this first and is a fantastic broadband router). The WRT54G has a massive community behind it because of it running Linux and being totally customisable (yes there probably isn't such a a word).

The one I would definately not recommend is the Zoom X4. It has great speed but mine carked it after 4 months of constantly being on (the lights were on but nobody was home).