cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems...

N/A

Router problems...

Hi there,

I am trying to set up a router (one supplied by plus net) and i am having problems connecting other computers on my network to the router...

Is there something obvious that i am missing?

Could some one please give me a detailed guide to setting up a network with a ADSL router?

I can connect the computer which is connected to the ADSL modem, but i dont seem to be able to get the other 2 computers on my network to connect to the internet!

Please help!!

Cheers.

Tom.

Ps. i am running XP pro. (if thats any help!)
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router problems...

what router have you got??
and does your other 2 comps have the correct lan ip addy's? do they share the same base addy as well. like 255.255.255.0 etc.
make sure there ip's match the routers ip. ensure you setup the ip set on the router. are you using dhcp for example. etc etc.
check your routers manual for setting up your lan. start there.Wink
N/A

Hi,

www.homenethelp.com has some good guides for setting up a home network. Useful for checking settings etc.

Also www.adslguide.org.uk forums for posting questions as well. Probably other users there (as well as here) that have the same modem as you and can help.

Good Luck.
--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life;
become a teacher
N/A

what router have you got??
and does your other 2 comps have the correct lan ip addy's? do they share the same base addy as well. like 255.255.255.0 etc.
make sure there ip's match the routers ip. ensure you setup the ip set on the router. are you using dhcp for example. etc etc.
check your routers manual for setting up your lan. start there.Wink

Hi Paul,

I am using the router supplied by plus net, the AR11 or something...

I am using DCHP, all the other computers share the same base address, 255.255.255.0.

How do i find the ip of the router? and then how do i set up the other ips?

I have two years of networking experience, but this has complealty thrown me!

Please help!!

Cheers.

Tom.
N/A

ok, i dont know the ar11 but you can set the ip for each comp in the networking icon section. it will be in control panel if you havent got the icon on the desktop. make sure you have the tcp/ip protocol in there and choose client for microsoft network for your network admin. rather than netbios for example.
browse the tab panels and see the settings. your router should have the first ip addy. eg. 192.168.1.1 and the rest should follow on...1.2 and 1.3 etc.
make the xp one 1.2. the router has to have a lan addy seperate from the outside ip addy.
your outside addy will be 212......etc.
you only worry about dhcp on the router. check how to configure it. check the manual. must be one on the cd that came with it. check the contents. should be a chapter there on setting the network stuff.
now all your comps must see the router's ip as a gateway (192.168.1.1) if they are connected directly to it. but would see the xp comp's ip if that was the gateway. if you are using ics for example.
if the connection from the lan comps are direct to the router, even if via a hub, then ensure you put the isp's dns in the dns section. each of those comps are gonna see outside seperate from each other. the router should handle the switching.
i'll check bck here tomorrow, let me know how you get on. Wink

N/A

oh one more thing, the most thwarting thing is the base addy. 255.255.255.0...it could be 255.255.255.255 on the router. just double check that. it would prevent the other 2 from getting on.
make sure you assign the ip range on the router as well. once they math, it should be a breeze.
N/A

If you havent changed the router then set each pc to get its ip from dhcp and that should be it. Check each pc with ipconfig /all and they should all have a simliar ip and subnet and the default gateway should be the router.

If you cant get the other pc to connect to the net it will be the default gateway not set right.

The other thing is I assume you are using a hub? If you are depending on the hub you may have to have a X crossover cable from the hub to the router(some hubs have a switch to set the x).

If yo still cant get it to work then post the ippconfig /all from each pc. I have the same router so I can see whats going on.

Note if you make changes to xp's network setting you shouldnt have to reboot but in practice you do Also make sure you havent got xp's firewall turned on on any pc

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to set up a router (one supplied by plus net) and i am having problems connecting other computers on my network to the router...
>
> Is there something obvious that i am missing?
>
> Could some one please give me a detailed guide to setting up a network with a ADSL router?
>
> I can connect the computer which is connected to the ADSL modem, but i dont seem to be able to get the other 2 computers on my network to connect to the internet!
>
> Please help!!
>
> Cheers.
>
> Tom.
>
> Ps. i am running XP pro. (if thats any help!)

N/A

Thanks for all your help guys, i'll be trying that this afternoon, will let you know how i get on!

Thanks again!

Tom.
N/A

Ok, so after a good days worth of playing with wires, settings and even hitting the computer in desperate hope, i eventually got the damm thing working, turns out to be a problem with one of the computers on the network. A fresh install of Windows XP, and all is working well!

Stupid computers...

Cheers for the advice!

Tom.
N/A

Ok, so after a good days worth of playing with wires, settings and even hitting the computer in desperate hope, i eventually got the damm thing working, turns out to be a problem with one of the computers on the network. One fresh install of Windows XP later, and all is working well!

Stupid computers...

Cheers for the advice!

Tom.