cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems - Help !

N/A

Router problems - Help !

As I am not having ANY success with Support, I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me.
I have been sent a 3COM router. I have followed the instructions for installation (Router and the ones from th Plusnet site). My pc is given the address 192.168.200.1 and my default gateway address is 192.168.200.254 (so at this point, DHCP is working and the Router has provided my PC with a IP address). When the User manager then trys to get to the Router (192.168.200.254) via ME, it comes up with an error "cannot connect to server or DNS error". I can ping the PC from the PC, but when I ping the 192.168.200.254 (Router address), I don't get anything. The netmask is set to 255.255.255.0
When the User Manager initally runs, it checks whether it can communicate with the Router and says that it CAN, buty when you click "next" to get onto the router, it fails with the above error.
Has anybody had similar problem or can anybody help ?Huh
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router problems - Help !

Are ALL the lights at the front of the router green?

what info is displayed when you look at the advanced iagnostics screen (router manager)?

Eamon

> As I am not having ANY success with Support, I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me.
> I have been sent a 3COM router. I have followed the instructions for installation (Router and the ones from th Plusnet site). My pc is given the address 192.168.200.1 and my default gateway address is 192.168.200.254 (so at this point, DHCP is working and the Router has provided my PC with a IP address). When the User manager then trys to get to the Router (192.168.200.254) via ME, it comes up with an error "cannot connect to server or DNS error". I can ping the PC from the PC, but when I ping the 192.168.200.254 (Router address), I don't get anything. The netmask is set to 255.255.255.0
> When the User Manager initally runs, it checks whether it can communicate with the Router and says that it CAN, buty when you click "next" to get onto the router, it fails with the above error.
> Has anybody had similar problem or can anybody help ??

N/A

RE: Router problems - Help !

run winipcfg and see what your setting are. I suspect that the only problem you have is dns and default gateway.

For it to work you must have the default gateway set to which you seem to have set right ie 192.168.200.254 but what you dont mention is DNS which is what the error is saying that it cant find a dns server. Some of the routers give out a default dns which may not work or be very slow.

You should be able to set the dns to plus.nets on the router if not set it up in ME which is the best way of doing it. Try doing a tracert and see were it goes to.

What some times helps and there is no reason why it should is to enable netbui on the pc.

The only other thing that it may be is the network card set to the wrong speed, if its a 100meg and the router is 10meg it may fail, it should autodetect but often doesnt

> As I am not having ANY success with Support, I am hoping that someone in this forum can help me.
> I have been sent a 3COM router. I have followed the instructions for installation (Router and the ones from th Plusnet site). My pc is given the address 192.168.200.1 and my default gateway address is 192.168.200.254 (so at this point, DHCP is working and the Router has provided my PC with a IP address). When the User manager then trys to get to the Router (192.168.200.254) via ME, it comes up with an error "cannot connect to server or DNS error". I can ping the PC from the PC, but when I ping the 192.168.200.254 (Router address), I don't get anything. The netmask is set to 255.255.255.0
> When the User Manager initally runs, it checks whether it can communicate with the Router and says that it CAN, buty when you click "next" to get onto the router, it fails with the above error.
> Has anybody had similar problem or can anybody help ??