cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router package, has to reboot it daily

N/A

A client (and referral) of mine has the external router package.

Practically every day, he comes into work and finds his internet connection dead.

He reboots the router box and it comes back to life within a few minutes.

It's not the Solwise router, but the older one (Alcatel?).

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Check for firmware updates, and make sure that the idle-timeout feature isn't active.

I am unsure of either of these, as I do not know what version router it is to see the docs.

Aditionaly, your avatar is above the guidlines set out if your profile. I only get a 1 1/2 strip of text.
N/A

Aditionaly, your avatar is above the guidlines set out if your profile. I only get a 1 1/2 strip of text.

Interestingly, I administer a phpBB site myself. Limits can be imposed by the administrator, and that doesn't seem to be the case here - despite what the text says.

I'll change it.
Ianwild
Grafter

We choose not to force the Avatar size for now - We were hoping people would read the text and take note.... Lot of newbies on the board who we don't want to have too confused!

Also, I don't think it as simple to do with Off-Site avatars....?

The router isn't a 3com 612 is it? We recalled these units due to a similiar sounding problem and everyone was sent a repacement Solwise SAR110 instead. Otherwise, we really need the exact router model to be able to help.

Regards,
N/A

No, it's not the 3com router. I don't have it in front of me, but I'm fairly sure it was the Alcatel one.

Having read one of the other threads, a firmware upgrade is possible although none of the bug fixes explicitly mentions fixing a "daily" disconnection glitch.

I have two clients with this kit. I'll try the upgrade on the worst affected and post the result back here as soon as possible.

As for the avatars, looking at phpBB 2.0.4, admin/admin_users.php

Checks the remote file size (after downloading a local temp file):
if( !$error && $file_size > 0 && $file_size < $board_config['avatar_filesize'] )

Then checks its dimensions:
list($width, $height) = @getimagesize($tmp_filename);

if( $width <= $board_config['avatar_max_width'] && $height <= $board_config['avatar_max_height'] )

Maybe a different version in use, maybe an in-house mod has changed these rules (for the worse).

Regards,

Bern