Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router or not

Del
Grafter

Router or not

:?: Hi all,
I use the "Dynamode A360 USB ADSL Modem" at the moment and I'm thinking of upgrading to a router such as the "Solwise SAR110".

Shockedops: As I'm not the most confident computer user on the planet, would I be best advised to leave well alone or is the above router easy to get up and running.

Thanks for any help.

Smiley Derek
8 REPLIES
N/A

Router or not

I didn't get on with the Solwise beast and got a refund. Its out-of-the-box configuration leaves it open to administration from anybody on the internet(!) and you have to go through a number of stages to make it a NAT device, which is probably what most people want.

Edit: Oh yeah, IIRC, there was no way to backup/restore the configuration, which is scandalous!!

Can I ask why you're keen to replace your USB modem? A router may not be the right solution for your problem.
Del
Grafter

Router or not

Cheesy AaaHaaa?

Thanks for your reply "lambdasystems", sorry I'm so late getting back to you I watched the football last night and nearly fell into a coma it was so bad??

I was considering getting a router as I've read they were better in general to surf the net with as most of them have a good firewall which you can configure.

I also checkout some of the postings on the Plusnet forums and routers seem to be quite good on average, at the moment I've not fully made up my mind. (I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure) :?

Thanks for your help
Smiley Derek
mike001
Grafter

Router or not

Hi
Not shore about the router you are asking about I dont use that one ....But I do use a netgear DG814 and the setup is easy....just plug it in and run the setup wizard....... Then just enter username/password and thats it ....easy
the Nat firewall it on by defult ...... I just leave mine on 24/7.
easy to add a New PC to ..just plug it in and you are off :-)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=3...

If it cost to much just look for some thing along the lines of the dg814 spec
N/A

Router or not

As a solwise SAR110 router user, I can state that is a good product. But as with most products, additional functionality means more complex to setup and configure.

The manual is really a reference book and therefore does not give many examples which are easily understood by the novice to network security.

The lack of a means to take backups of the configuration is also a negative point (assuming you like to tinker Wink ).

If you were to select this model for use, I am sure that there would be many people on the forums who would be happy to provide advice with regards the configuration.

Cheers

Darren
turtel
Grafter

to router or not

Routers are only really useful if you already have a network. If not stick with your USB modem.

We run a network behind a server, and are wishing we bought a router now, just for simplicitys sake. But thats because of networking issues, and the fact we want to turn our server into linux box, and that our pci dsl card isnt supported.

I'd stick with a usb modem unless you have a netwrok of more than 2 pc's if you do then a router is the way i'd go.
N/A

Router or not

The only reason for going with a USB modem is cost, a router provides substantial benefits in terms of simplicity (it will allow connections to anything with an ethernet card, no drivers to worry about on the host machine etc).

A USB modem also relies on the processing power of the host computer, therefore taking away resources which could be utilised for other things.

In my opinion if you can scrape the additional cost of a router then you should take that option as it is future proof in terms of operating systems etc.

Only my opinion, but obviously different to that of the last post.

Sorry to muddy the water Wink
Darren.
N/A

Router or not

Use the old addage, "If it ain't bust, don't fix it".
If all is working OK with the USB modem, you will see negligable difference using a router (apart from "instant connection" if you leave it turned on.)
mike001
Grafter

Router or not

Use the old addage, "If it ain't bust, don't fix it".
If all is working OK with the USB modem, you will see negligable difference using a router (apart from "instant connection" if you leave it turned on.)

LoL
Now ya see I dont look at it like that.......I see it as ........If it ain't bust, I just have to brake it :lol: