cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router / networking

N/A

Router / networking

I shall shortly receive a new computer. I then wish to swap my usb modem for a router and network my old and new pc's. I have , I believe a home 500 account. Does anyone have any suggestions , please, as to my optimum solution? :?:
6 REPLIES
N/A

Router / networking

Everyone wil have a personal preference but:-

Personally, I would suggest the Netgear DG834, it's working fine for me.

Alternatively, if cost is an issue, this looks good value but as yet is of unknown quality/performance
http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=96221
N/A

Router / networking

Thanks for your help.

Is this the only piece of hardware required or do I need network cards in each pc? As the rooms are adjacent I plan to use wiring as opposed to wire-free.
Community Veteran

Router / networking

Each PC will need a network card fitting to allow connection to the router.

On the question of routers I prefer the D-Link 504 which like the netgear one has 4 ports for connecting and networking your PC's.

Both are very similar in specification.
N/A

Router / networking

Hi, however make sure that your PC(s) haven't already got network ports built onto the motherboards as many newer PC's come with that hardware already there. Best way to check is to got to system properties, hardware and see if an adaptor is listed.....
Chris C
N/A

Router / networking

Thank you all for your help! Cool
N/A

Router / networking

Hi, however make sure that your PC(s) haven't already got network ports built onto the motherboards as many newer PC's come with that hardware already there. Best way to check is to got to system properties, hardware and see if an adaptor is listed.....
Chris C

First make sure that the built in nic (if there is one) hasn't been disabled in the BIOS, which is quite normal on initial machine setup, or disabled can be a default setting. If it has been it won't be listed in the system properties . . .

Usually you access the BIOS settings to change them by pressing the Del key at the POST screen on bootup (this can vary, so if it doesn't work check your motherboard manual, or any onscreen prompts).

Once it has been turned on (if there and previously disabled), on reboot Windows will prompt for drivers when it finds the new hardware, so have the motherboard driver cd in the drive ready, and Windows should find the right drivers and install them for you.

It can also be useful while in the BIOS to set the Plug and Play OS installed to No, so the motherboard allocates the resources prior to the OS getting its hands on them (which can sometimes prevent some grief clashes with things built in, such as nic's, sound, etc.).

The following looks to be excellent value (and it also looks suspiciously like hardware the Zoom/Hayes X5 is built on), and the link takes you to a pile of buyer reviews on it, where it is confirmed to be an Origo ASR-8400 4 Port ADSL Modem Router:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=4...

It's a 4 port switch built into it, and a firmware upgrade last year put a firewall into it too. Take note of any measures to take to make the item net secure after install, if you do get it, which are discussed in the buyer reviews linked above.

Ebuyer also have Belkin pci nic's that come with 2m cables, for £6 + vat, which isn't bad at all (their own brand ready made cables are a good deal too, as are their filters).

I've ordered one of those 8400's, but won't be able to plug it in yet as my exchange isn't enabled until June. :roll: Fingers crossed I can get service as I may be marginal.