cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/line question

N/A

Router/line question

I migrated to PlusNet 5 days ago and installed a brand new DG834 router. All fine and dandy, no problems.

Yesterday I noticed the DSL light on the router was flickering and this morning it went to flickering yellow and then went out. This happened sporadically, ie the connection kept being restored.

I've done all the obvious things to check the physical connection (and also removed a telephone that was connected to the splitter, just in case) and now I have a more solid connection although the ADSL light is flickering a bit now and again.

I'd had broadband for about 16 months previously (BT) and never once had a connection problem, which leads me to suspect that there may be a problem with the router rather than anything to do with the line.

Any ideas, please? I'll happily admit to only the most basic understanding of routers, so please be gentle with me Smiley
6 REPLIES
N/A

Router/line question

The flickering could just be traffic passing - mine flickers when data is flowing, just like the network link lights and / or wireless link.

If the line does keep dropping its maybe worth checking your line stats at Router status > Show statistics.
N/A

Router/line question

Thanks for the suggestion. But can you tell me what I'm looking for exactly? The stats don't mean anything to me Sad

(I can see I need a rapid learning curve!)
Community Veteran

Router/line question

Post what it says and we can then comment on it.

The candle icon will flicker when data is going over your ADSL line but it should never go out as that indicates the line sync has failed.
N/A

Router/line question

The stats are

• Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
  • WAN PPPoA 133021 126912 0 350 4102 09:53:25
  • LAN 100M/Full 147478 134298 0 4181 443 09:55:47

• ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
  • Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
  • Line Attenuation 28 db 17 db
  • Noise Margin 20 db 27 db

Poll interval 5 secs

TIA
Community Veteran

Router/line question

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 28 db 17 db
Noise Margin 20 db 27 db

The above is te important bit, and in particular the downstream values which should be fine for > 2Mbs speeds.

See the following to understand what the figures mean.

ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements
N/A

Router/line question

Thanks for your help!