cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router info ??

N/A

Router info ??

Hi all,

I've just joined Plusnet self install option and am thinking about getting a router instead of a modem.

I've been looking at the US Robotics Router 018000.
Has anybody got this router, and what do they think.

Any recommendtion for other routers would be much appreatiated.

Thanks.....
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Router info ??

Unless you are looking for any 'special' value added features, I would happily recommend the 'DABS Value' (see http:///www.dabs.com)ADSL router - quicklinx # 17P7WS (1 Eth Port) or 17P8WS (4 Eth Port). £60 and £68 respectively. [+VAT]

A router is defo the right choice as you'll be 'always on' regardless of the status of your PC. BTW - are you going static IP? Assuming the answer is yes...

N/A

> Hi all,
>
> I've just joined Plusnet self install option and am thinking about getting a router instead of a modem.
>
> I've been looking at the US Robotics Router 018000.
> Has anybody got this router, and what do they think.
>
> Any recommendtion for other routers would be much appreatiated.
>
> Thanks.....
>

Hi.

I don't know if this is the same model but a friend of mine said the US Robotics router is not very good as it does not allow port forwarding, which cause a problem say in in P2P file sharing. I have also just sined up and am thinking of getting the Netgear RP114 router.
N/A

I have used two routers succesfully, both from Solwise Ltd (www.solwise.co.uk):

The SAR703 (£69 ex VAT)an ADSL ethernet router with one ethernet port (so you need a hub/switch to share it). It works well with no problems, and stays on all the time.

The SAR715 (£105 ex VAT)an ADSL ethernet router with four ports, AND in-built firewall. I've only just got it for this new ADSL connection. It set up easily enough.

Solwise are very helpful indeed. They are a small company, and you can actually get to speak to somebody if you run into problems with the set-up.

Trystan
N/A

> I don't know if this is the same model but a friend of mine said the US Robotics router is not very good as it does not allow port forwarding, which cause a problem say in in P2P file sharing. I have also just sined up and am thinking of getting the Netgear RP114 router.

RP 114 is a router only and still needs a dsl modem to connect to net - I use Netgear DG814 modem/router/switch which works fine
N/A

I have used the Draytek Vigor 2600 router and the Vigor 2200 USB router, both perform well and incorporate a firewall. They also have a VPN option that will allow you to dial into your own network from a remote PC. Very good value for money and very flexible. Can be purchased online from www.seg.co.uk the Vigor 2600 costs £179 +VAT check out the full specs at the same website.

John

> Hi all,
>
> I've just joined Plusnet self install option and am thinking about getting a router instead of a modem.
>
> I've been looking at the US Robotics Router 018000.
> Has anybody got this router, and what do they think.
>
> Any recommendtion for other routers would be much appreatiated.
>
> Thanks.....
>

N/A

>
> > I don't know if this is the same model but a friend of mine said the US Robotics router is not very good as it does not allow port forwarding, which cause a problem say in in P2P file sharing. I have also just sined up and am thinking of getting the Netgear RP114 router.
>
>
> RP 114 is a router only and still needs a dsl modem to connect to net - I use Netgear DG814 modem/router/switch which works fine
>

Really? Damn... oh well good thing i havn't bought it yet. Could you tell me where you bought your DG814 from and how much it cost?

N/A

> > RP 114 is a router only and still needs a dsl modem to connect to net - I use Netgear DG814 modem/router/switch which works fine
> >
>
> Really? Damn... oh well good thing i havn't bought it yet. Could you tell me where you bought your DG814 from and how much it cost?
>
>

Action.com - £99.99 plus vat and delivery - but they're waiting for new stock and hve increased the price slightly !
N/A

> RP 114 is a router only and still needs a dsl modem to connect to net - I use Netgear DG814 modem/router/switch which works fine
>

Could you give me some information about the DG814? How good is the URL blocking as a parental control tool? How do you set this up and is it worth paying extra money for?

Thanks
N/A

> > Could you tell me where you bought your DG814

> Action.com - £99.99 plus vat and delivery - but they're waiting for new stock and hve increased the price slightly !

By the postings in news:uk.telecom.broadband, it appears every retailer is in the same boat! It would be easier to get hold of a hen's tooth than a DG814 at the mo. Smiley

--
Slàinte!
Al

[ADSL Home self-install + Asus 6000EV]
N/A

Have a look at the ASUS AAM6000EV; can be bought from Solwise for about £90 inc VAT. I agree with someone else's post; Solwise are small and helpful and are generally competitive pricewise.

--