cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router compatibility issues with Globespan Virata chipset

N/A

Hi,

I see that there is alot of talk on the net about router compatibilty between Globespan Virata chipset (includes Asus EV/Bi/Vi models, Solwise SAR703, SAR705/715, SAR715PV, Netgear DG814 and D-Link DSL-604) and 622Mbps BT Central products (which I believe plusnet have a few, I could be wrong)

I know that a number of other ISPs have had problems with this. Is there a similar hassle here?

I am about to get adsl on Thursday and have a DG814. All this talk gives me cause for concern

Malc

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1312

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post from another ISP's support forum stating the cause problems

Problem 1:

Globespan chipset routers do not send any LCP options when
connecting. Certain Cisco code does not like this and doesn't accept the connection as a result. We have been running such code on two of our six 155Mbps central pipes (lon1-adsl5 and lon1-adsl6) since they've been in service, and it was running on our 622Mbps pipe as well. This code has now been upgraded on all affected routers.

Problem 2:

Globespan chipset routers do not send a PPP TERMREQ to
disconnect a call. This means that the routers don't tear
down the session until the keepalives time out. Our keepalive timers were set at 200 seconds apart (as per the recommendations of Cisco and BT), and the system would have to miss 3 keepalives (= 10 minutes) before tearing down the session. We've reduced our keepalives to 10 seconds in order to allieviate this situation. So far, we have not spotted any adverse effects of reducing this timer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 REPLIES
N/A

That ADSLGuide article you referred to is a very bad piece of writing, in my view. If you look at it closely, you come away rather mystified.

It starts off talking about "some issues" (plural) and "the issues" (also plural). Then, out of the blue, it says "The ISP that this issue [singular] initially appeared with..." and "The issue [singular] appears to resolve [I think the writer means revolve] around..."

Then suddenly, without warning we encounter "The two resolved issues..". Which two resolved issues, we hadn't heard of them before! Actually, they seem related to your "Problem 2": "when the chipset is shutting down a session it does not send a terminate request". So, perhaps "Problem 2" has now been resolved. Also, something about "LCP options" here as well, so maybe your Problems 1 and 2 are "the two resolved issues" -- who knows!

Thank you for using the word "problem" by the way -- we understand what that means! ADSLGuide persists in using "issue" and now confuses us further by using the same word with a different meaning: "One interesting issue, is that while Eclipse users..." [I think he simply means "One interesting aspect", or "One interesting consideration".]

Too many "issues", ADSLGuide, and not enough down-to-earth explanation!!! The writer may know what he wants to say, but he's not very good at putting it across!
N/A

I agree that it is poorly written ( Not that I can talk about written english)

My question still stands, Is Plusnet suffering from this same problems as other ISPs?

Malc
N/A

The ADSLGuide article also referred to Nildram, which has posted this about the problem:

We believe we've now largely solved the issues experienced by users of routers with the Globespan chipset. The true cause of most of the problems was identified last Monday (1st September) due to some testing work we are performing with BT on the new 622Mbps central pipe. Without this work, and without the help and attention of both BT and Solwise (who manufacture a router using this chipset), we may not have tracked down the problem for a long, long time.

We also have reason to believe that Globespan are working on an upgraded firmware, and users affected by this who have upgradeable routers, should consider upgrading as soon as this becomes available.

It rather suggests they're pretty much on top of the problems ("largely solved the issues", "the true cause was identified") and that users of routers with the affected chipset should be looking out for firmware upgrades.

My guess is that the two problems you specified are the ones reported in the ADSLGuide article as having been solved.
Boundey
Grafter

This problem doesnt affect PLusnet as they use the redback routers and not cisco as thats what i thought my intial problem was.

Time to keep pressing on with my problem Sad
N/A

I beleive it is Redback for the terminating equipment, as noted.

However, I suspect Cisco routers are using in other locations of the platform.

Benoh would likely verify this more, however, he is busy routing out pictures of himself and sending them to /dev/null
Community Veteran

Yes PlusNet use Cisco kit for thier core routers in thier network.

Benoh would likely verify this more, however, he is busy routing out pictures of himself and sending them to /dev/null

Do tell...

Chris
Community Veteran

...in a private message. You mods seem to be awfully good at going off-topic (I'll admit I'm not always innocent myself though!). Tongue

Thomas
Boundey
Grafter

Yes PlusNet use Cisco kit for thier core routers in thier network.

Do tell...

Chris

eughhhh i was told that they didnt by some of the support staff when i rang up!!