cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router choice

N/A

Router choice

There are a load of routers out there and i came across this one at a very reasonable price just wondering if anyone has anything to say about it and whether someone could help me set it all up if i was to purchase it?

Ebuyer 108 Mbps 4 Port Wireless Firewall Internet Gateway Router with Built in ADSL2/2+ Modem 802.11g+

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=9436369019&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74902

thanx in advance

Kyle...
23 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Router choice

I have this one in my office. Has served me well, but it's somewhat complicated to setup. The Control Panel is not really for beginners.

Depends how competent you are as to whether I would recommend it. Certainly, it's been stable, the Wireless has been fine and it's never dropped a connection.
N/A

Router choice

Hi there,

Have no experience of that particular router, however it seems to be using a Conexant Chip similar to that used in Safecom products and many others, which seems popular, not least because of price.

Setting it up should be fairly easy and there is a Safecom / Origo support forum which can also provide a lot of assistance.

Whilst I have no particular issues with this product I would be recommending Netgear or similar products.

When it comes to setting it up, there are many on the boards here who will be willing to help.
LiamM
Grafter

Router choice

Agreed. Methinks Netgear are the bees knees.

However, this router has, as I said, always served me well.

Safecom boards weren't much use to me when I had a few questions about setup, but worked it out in the end.
N/A

Router choice

Got a Belkin 7633 myself, think its great.
N/A

Router choice

Which netgear model should i go for then?
mike001
Grafter

Router choice

I have just sent for a NetGEAR DG834UK ADSL Firewall Router to replace my NetGEAR dg814 wich is till runnig fine after 2years of never being turned off :-)
just thort i would treat myself :-)

http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=D2A2F563-3DE4-4D5D-8A73-E7B1EA51E410

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=5...
Alecto
Grafter

Router choice

Hope you've not used ebuyer. Evil
N/A

Ebuyer are great... but not infallible

I know someone who's just bought one of the eBuyer routers, and he's not said anything against it.

Ebuyer as a supplier? I normally go for the cheap carriage option, so imagine my disappointment! The first time I opt for Priority Express delivery, for a Netgear DG834, it falls off the radar and sits in the processing queue all day when it should have been dispatched and on the road! The reason/excuse was that their supplier hadn't got what they said they had got, so they had to source from an alternative.

I did get it a day later. Normally eBuyer are great and I'd recommend them to anyone, but from now on I'll stick to Super Saver delivery.

And the DG834? Great. Easy to set up, though I can't see the selector buttons to modify firewall rules in Firefox. Guess I'll use the old laptop with IE (yecch) for that.

After years of dialup 1.2 MB download speed rocks. Hence the 450 MB MAndriva updates in 2 days :roll:
Community Veteran

Router choice

Geoff's reffering to his thread in general chit chat i belive.
Alecto
Grafter

Router choice

Yes indeed.
Ordered a hard disk with superswift next day delivery from Ebuyer on Monday.
Still no sign of it and can't trace it on their website either.
And can't get through on the phone.

They're in a right state and need to get sorted out before I'd use them again. Evil
N/A

Router choice

I tend to agree gpattison, having had various problems with ebuyer(and for that matter aria too) i now do my shopping at savastore....great prices and fast delivery with excellent customer support. There's rarely more than a few pence difference on the price and occasionaly they're cheaper.
N/A

Router choice

PC World are currently selling Netgear DG834UK for £53.70 inc delivery, special on line price.

Cheesy Cheesy
mike001
Grafter

Router choice

PC World are currently selling Netgear DG834UK for £53.70 inc delivery, special on line price.

Cheesy Cheesy

Aaaaaaarrr now ya tell me :lol:
N/A

Router choice

If your local PC World store has got one in stock you can order it on-line check the collect from store option then you can collect it from the store an hour later and pay the discounted on-line price.