cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router advice any opinions?

N/A

Router advice any opinions?

I have just signed up to ADSL at +NET and am after ADSL router purchasing advice. My machines are running mac OSX and I'm getting pretty good at basic terminal configs and am not shy of getting my hands dirty in config files.
I like the look of both the SpeedTouch 510 v4 and Netgear DG 814 (partial to the Speed Touch according to the dslsource.co.uk reviews).
Basically any browerconfiguarble router with firewall/gateway is my aim.
I expect to have two or three computers connected at any time.
Anyones advice or experiences are welcome.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Router advice any opinions?

Ive used the NetGear since it was first released last April. Never really had any problems with it and it's easy to configure. The firewall is basically content filtering for inbound and you can get it to log outbound traffic if you want.

Chris
N/A

Solwise (www.solwise.co.uk) seem to be a very good supplier. A major plus point is that, like PlusNet, they have a very active user forum in which the Solwise staff frequently participate. They also answer the phone promptly and arte very helpful.

See www.adslguide.org.uk for independent reviews.

I have a SAR715PW wireless router. I have no experience of any other. It was straightforward to set up via its browser interface. So far as I know it has worked faultlessly.
N/A

> Solwise (www.solwise.co.uk) seem to be a very good supplier. A major plus point is that, like PlusNet, they have a very active user forum in which the Solwise staff frequently participate. They also answer the phone promptly and arte very helpful.
>
> See www.adslguide.org.uk for independent reviews.
>
> I have a SAR715PW wireless router. I have no experience of any other. It was straightforward to set up via its browser interface. So far as I know it has worked faultlessly.

i used solwise to buy my sar715 and its a great bit of kit, and the customer service from solwise is second to none, also their forum is a good source of information and help
N/A

I got a speedtouvh 510 v4 from dslsource and I have had no problems with the router (Very easy to set up) and was happy with the service I got from dslsource (they let me pick it up on a saturday, cause I'm impatient) and I would recomend buying from them.

Bill
N/A

> I have just signed up to ADSL at +NET and am after ADSL router purchasing advice. My machines are running mac OSX and I'm getting pretty good at basic terminal configs and am not shy of getting my hands dirty in config files.
>
> I like the look of both the SpeedTouch 510 v4 and Netgear DG 814 (partial to the Speed Touch according to the dslsource.co.uk reviews).
>
> Basically any browerconfiguarble router with firewall/gateway is my aim.
>
> I expect to have two or three computers connected at any time.
>
> Anyones advice or experiences are welcome.
>

I am also running Mac OSX (10.1.5) and use the Solwise SAR110 router that PlusNet supplied. Apart from a few minor initial config issues (quickly resolved) I have had no problems. But I have heard that the Netgear DG 814 is excellent

Mark

CJC1942
Grafter

> I have just signed up to ADSL at +NET and am after ADSL router purchasing advice. My machines are running mac OSX and I'm getting pretty good at basic terminal configs and am not shy of getting my hands dirty in config files.
>
> I like the look of both the SpeedTouch 510 v4 and Netgear DG 814 (partial to the Speed Touch according to the dslsource.co.uk reviews).
>
> Basically any browerconfiguarble router with firewall/gateway is my aim.
>
> I expect to have two or three computers connected at any time.

>
> Anyones advice or experiences are welcome.
>

Hi,
I'm using the DG 814 and Netgear network cards, have now been connected rock solid for a month with two computers. One running XP Home the other ME.
Both use Zone Alarm, purely 'cos that's what we were using seperately prior to Broadband.
A bit of a plug for Plusnet, Our speed is over 500kbps the vast majority of the time and I haven't seen less than 490kbps since the first couple of days, and the line was enabled on the seventh day!
N/A

Thanks for al the helpful advice people! Seems like the netGeaar And Solwise routers are well supported and a good mention for the Speedtouch as well.... makes it harder. Personally I like the feature set of the Speed Touch as it has a lot of powerful support for gateway/Firewall etc. Anyone have opiions on the feature set of their routers? what it has that is great versus what you think it lacks?
Buying on saturday (or sooner if the line passes!) and would appreciate any comments if you haave the time
N/A

Hi

Any objections to the D-Link DSL-504??
Just thought I'd ask as this baby rocks.

Cheers

Tim