cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Upgrade for MaxADSL

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I know that my router a Netgear DG814 will work up to 8MB but I am in the situation that I can presently only get 1MB. Obviously my loop loss at 52dB is the problem here.
The potential problem I have is that this router gives no stats so I am in the dark as regards the SNR which will be the critical factor.
Given that the procedure with ADSLMax is for the system to find the best reliable speed in the first 10 days then lock it at that I need to ensure that my system is at optimum before it starts.
I have seen a number of posts in which some Netgear routers have increased the loop loss significantly. Would there be any merit in replacing this router.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

The older Netgear routers, such as the 814 and 824 have been known to add upto 12db to marginal lines. (pr100's issue from last year was a prime example)

The newer 834 series do not do this and are generally accurate with the line stats that they report.

If you could borrow a router and check the line stats. If they agree with what the current 814 states, then you shouldn't have a problem. If there is a marked difference, then replace the router. Netgear have been known to replace the older routers, even outside of normal guarantee periods, where it is proven that they add noise to the line.

Might be worth a try. One way of getting a free upgrade anyway. Smiley
Community Veteran

The 834 I have running the latest v3 firmware is still has a line attentaution 5dB out from a woosh test so Netgear are still not as accurate as they should be but then not many routers are claimed to be 100% accurate.

With MaxDSL, it's also your SNR that is important to the speed you will get. The higher the SNR, the more likely to get a higher line speed. Once again my 834 was 4dB out (i.e. lower) than the whoosh test for SNR.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Thanks for the replies. Whoosh test now being actioned - now lets see if I should change my router
N/A

The 834 I have running the latest v3 firmware is still has a line attentaution 5dB out from a woosh test so Netgear are still not as accurate as they should be but then not many routers are claimed to be 100% accurate.

With MaxDSL, it's also your SNR that is important to the speed you will get. The higher the SNR, the more likely to get a higher line speed. Once again my 834 was 4dB out (i.e. lower) than the whoosh test for SNR.

Peter
I note you have Netgear 834. I've just installed the 834GT (although wireless it's only connected to single PC) after my line was upgraded to the 8MB trial. Are you on 8meg and if so can you please tell me what settings you are on for router and RWIN, MTU etc. You may have seen my other postings on speed as the highest has been around 3.6. I'm not a speed freak but just don't feel I'm getting any real benefit from the supposed upgrade. Was previously on 2meg but rarely achived 1.7 tops. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Community Veteran

My line only support 1Meg so my figures are not going to help you.

Note: the GT version is a completely different router and hardware to the 834 & 834G and uses a diferent firmware release so it's results ragarding SNR/Line atten may be different to mine, as could the accuracy.
N/A

Peter

point taken and thanks for the reply..