cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Speeds

N/A

Router Speeds

Sorry to be a dimwit, but can someone confirm some techy details for me please? I run my DSL connection through a Netgear 54Mbps wireless router, and my desktop connects to it via a Real RTL8193 100Mbps ethernet card.

Given I'm on a standard 512Kbps DSL package, everything is running well below capacity. What speed of DSL connection could I use before I'd hit a bottleneck on the 54Mbps router or100Mbps card?

I'm guessing it's a straight 54Mb DSL, but that just seems too simple....

Thanks,
JC
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Router Speeds

While your wireless link is communicating at 54Mbs, the affective throughput (how much data you can actually send) is much less than that.

As an example, see the test table in this review of the WAG-54G router where you can see it actually transfers data at about 18Mbs, and some of the other routers much less.

Even so, you can still transfer data faster over wireless than you can over the current ADSL speeds. Even the 18Mbs speeds available with ADSL2+ is just on a par with the above router. As the table indicates, different routers have different tthroughputs so if your router is listed, you will have a good idea what ADSL speed will saturate your wireless link. If it''s not listed then maybe 10Mbs may start to be a problem.
N/A

Router Speeds

Thanks for that - the Netgear is listed as putting through 9.44Mb/s so as you say, around 10Mb will be the limit. This applies to data transferred via the Ethernet ports also.

Thanks for your helps - that's sorted me out!

JC