cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Recommendations

LouiseCarmela

Router Recommendations

Hi

I have recently ordered my adsl package and am awaiting activation (should be soon!).

I am on the look out for a decent router - does anyone have any recommendations for either a wires or wireless router?

Cheers,

Mark
10 REPLIES
iPaqowner
Grafter

Router Recommendations

Mark,
As a recent convert to PlusNet I bought a Netgear DG824M ADSL modem/wireless router (from Novatech...they were cheapest and I find their service great).
It was very easy to set up (for a networking novice) plenty of help on this forum if you have any queries.
Just fit a network card to the Pc and connect it to the router (cable comes with Netgear), plug in broadband cable and that's it. Just follow quick setup guide.
I have my daughter's Pc's in their bedrooms fitted with Netgear Usb wireless adapters and I have a compactflash wireless card in my Pda (Compaq iPAQ).
It all works a treat and all 3 of us can be surfing at the same time.
Hope this helps.
John.
N/A

Router Recommendations

I guess it really depends on what features you want...

The Netgear routers are fine if you want something that is only configurable from a web interface - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a bad thing but there are times when ther is no substitute for a Command Line Interface.

The firewall is a must as without it, the configuration of the Netgear unit can be accessed from the internet - OK, you get password protection on it but the popup box actually tells you what you are connecting to (i.e. DM605) so any hacker stands a fair chance of getting into the majority of such units as most people won't even bother changing the default password!

The only thing to be wary of is things like http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1312 - I'm sure there are issues like this going to affect all chipsets at some point in their life but obviously it's something to consider.

Personally, I use an Efficient Networks 5861 router which is the same unit BT ship for business connections and picked it up brand new on eBay for £79. This unit has a script based firewall which is highly configurable and also offers a modem backup facility in the event of DSL failure.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/ is a good starting point for DSL hardware reviews.
N/A

Router Recommendations

Hi

On this same subject (nearly), I am very tempted by the current adsl offer (free modem and instalation) - but there is no option of a router. I still think it will save me money to do it this way though - but I really, really, really want to network my PC (and lappie) to my son's PC in his bedroom, so that we can surf at the same time - but I don't have a clue what to do!

This would be a good first step though, wouldn't it? Getting the broadband in and then working from there?

Tell me it is. I have this urge to click that "upgrade" button.

Decisions, decisions .......
:roll:
Frances

PS *When* I get in the adsl (with the modem for starters) - can I use broadband on my PC and laptop, without networking? Can I plug my son in too, when I'm not using it?? This is all very complicated it seems. Thank you.
Community Veteran

Router Recommendations

We're getting off topic here. Smiley By all means, start a new topic if you want to ask a question not related to this thread!

Thomas
LouiseCarmela

Router Recommendations

Many thanks for the advice. I have been reading some of the reviews floating about, particularly those found on adslguide.org.uk. I notice that the Netgear DG824m is a popular model, though I am concerned that you cannot turn the wireless part of the device off if you wanted to.

The are many complaints about the stability of the DG814, does anyone have the same experience with the DG824m? I would also be interested to know if Netgear has enabled any new features through recent firmware upgrades.

Thanks

Mark
N/A

Router Recommendations

I'm one of those who possess a Netgear DG814 for over 6 months now and I have had very few problems with it. I think those that do have problems are the exception rather than the rule. How many people would write into a Forum and start a thread saying that their router is working just fine? The latest firmware update (4.9RC1) has pretty much cured everything that has let it down in the past. Raid your piggy-bank and get one!
iPaqowner
Grafter

Router Recommendations

I have had my DG824M running continuously since the day my line was activated about 10 days now and it has performed faultlessly and not dropped the line once.
I have the latest firmware (v1.4.05) and wireless can now be turned off if you wish.
LouiseCarmela

Router Recommendations

Thanks for the info about the DG824M. I guess that clears up my concerns, I will put in the order for one when my line is activated.

Many Thanks,

Mark
N/A

Router Recommendations

Hi,

I would look further into this if i were you! i was going to use a netgear 814! but their have been problems with them or more to the point with the chip set that they use.. i read about it at adslguide.org i think it was.. their have evan been some post's about them on this forum..
N/A

Router Recommendations

You can buy ADSL routers (including the DG824M) from Amazon and if you buy via ShopInternet part of the profit is given to charity. See http://cgi.hodgsob.plus.com/shop/electronics.php?keyword=adsl%20router for ADSL routers.