cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Question...

N/A

Router Question...

I've tried searching the forums for an answer but it wasn't working.

Anyway, I've been looking at ADSL routers and the connection that the modem plugs into the router is RJ45.

I've got the Dynamode A360 external USB modem and it only has two RJ11s on the back, one of which is occupied by the phoneline.

Is it possible to get an RJ11 to RJ45 convertor or something? How can I get a router set up?

Xbox Live is another example. The cabling for that is all RJ45.
3 REPLIES
bluewhale
Grafter

RE: Router Question...

with an adsl router you don't need your modem.

eg the ebuyer adsl router just plugs into you're phone line and the other other end into your pc's network card...
N/A

> with an adsl router you don't need your modem.
>
> eg the ebuyer adsl router just plugs into you're phone line and the other other end into your pc's network card...
>

Excellent, so the router has an RJ11 input then?

All the ADSL routers I was looking at had five RJ45 ports. Four for the PCs and one from the modem. It said you needed to plug the modem into the router.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that one out:cheese:
N/A

> > with an adsl router you don't need your modem.
> >
> > eg the ebuyer adsl router just plugs into you're phone line and the other other end into your pc's network card...
> >
>
> Excellent, so the router has an RJ11 input then?
>
> All the ADSL routers I was looking at had five RJ45 ports. Four for the PCs and one from the modem. It said you needed to plug the modem into the router.
>
> Thanks for the info, I'll check that one out:cheese:

If its ain't got an rj11 input then its purely a router and not a combined modem/router.

You want to make sure you get the modem/router else it won't work. Telewest broadband comes into your house via an rj45 connector so this is where you would be expected to use a router with a rj45 input.

Hope this helps

Bill