cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Problem

N/A

Router Problem

Hi,
I'm currently at my mum's house trying to sort out her internet -Basically, she's ben on plusnet for about 18 months, and all has been working fine.
From the start, I used a D-Link G-604T (i think!) wireless modem/router and its been fine. However, I came back home a few weeks ago and couldnt connect to the internet with my wireless laptop (although i was connecting fine to the router). Her home computer, which is cable connected to the router was connecting to the internet, but it was unable to access some websites, and was generally a bit intermittent. I played with some settings, which made no difference, and then after a while, the internet connection was completely lost. I have tried a replacement router (D-link g624t), and have the same problem. I can connect fine with the bt voyager 105.

Oh, also, the router does actually connect to the internet - light stays on, log states that I am getting ~1024k download rate.... i just cant see any websites.

Any htoughts would be really really welcome!

Thanks,

Ferg

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the appropriate forum.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Router Problem

This probably won't help, but if voyager works fine then it looks like a local issue, with the D-Link routers I'd guess?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Router Problem

Can you ping websites? You also need to try using the IP address, e.g. the BBC website ping 212.58.227.76
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Router Problem

Initially i presumed it to be the d-link router, hence why i bought a brand new one... but it still does exactly the same things. All settings are correct (as far as i am aware).

Regarding pinging... i had a point where i could type in the IP address of a website (such as bbc), and it would work.. whereas just typing in www.bbc.com wouldnt - so i assumed it might be the dns servers. I tried a number of different dns servers, all to no avail.

As an update - having played around with some settings on my mum's imac, hers now connects to the internet without a problem when attached to the router/internet with an ethernet cable, however my laptop can only connect to the router and not the internet (both wirelessly and with a cable). I have to say that i am at a complete loss as to what the problem is.

Any other thoughts would be most welcome.

Ferg
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Router Problem

You need to check the DNS settings on your PC and possibly on the router. If you have PC picking up it's IP address automatically from the router, it is probably has the router as the DNS server as well. In that case you need to check the DNS settings in the router. I usually explicitly specify my DNS settings on the PC and forget the DNS on the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)